[Stoves] Request for technology proposals - Clean Stove Initiative, Indonesia

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Feb 20 13:07:58 CST 2014

Dear Ron

Please be careful when discussing what the offer is. I do not want to
conflate our public discussions with an official call for technology
proposals.

Thanks for consideration.

>This below looks like what you have been talking about on this list.
Thanks for sending it.

Yes, I have been proving some hints so people are ready to assist the
project. This is an unusual request for proposals in that it includes a
funding opportunity for vendors (a subsidy) that is for a device which does
not yet exist.

It is my hope that other stove programmes will first survey the community,
as the WB-CSI Indonesian programme has done, to find out what people will
appreciate before asking for 'improved stoves'. It is only 'improved' if
people think it is and want to own it. Often what they ask for is not
available in the market.

>I interpret what I read that there will be no reporting of charcoal
production, or accounting for it in an efficiency calculation, under normal
testing.  Correct?

All biomass consumption for domestic use in Central Java is considered to be
from sustainable resources. For that reason, it is not necessary to 'save
fuel' in the sense that a CDM credit can be gained. This is an important
aspect of this particular region. The UNFCCC rules are relevant in this
regard.

The request of the government is that the prime measurements are to be
overall thermal efficiency as determined by the consumption of raw fuel
necessary to complete a burn cycle, considering the re-use of fuel remaining
after the previous identical cycle. The definition of 'fuel consumption' is
in the document, is carefully worded and has been reviewed. Other metrics
are PM and CO emissions plus a safety review, which is informed by comments
received by the community.

During the standard test, there is no requirement to measure the mass of
charcoal remaining, but there is a requirement to measure the mass of
reusable fuel that can be put into the same device for the next identical
burn cycle. That may or may not include char.  This partly addresses your
concern about quantifying the amount of char produced, but is not completely
congruent with your desire to have the char, its energy content and mass
produced per cycle. The test requires that the overall or 'net' fuel
consumption per cycle be determined.

If you would like to know the mass of char (without the energy content) you
could ask that it be reported and the lab will probably include it as a
favour. We are all aware of developments in this field.  The determination
of the energy content would require additional expense so there would be a
charge applied. As the testing is presently being done free (if authorised
by the government after they select products of interest) the additional fee
could be arranged with the testing lab. This would be considerably cheaper
than asking for the whole test to be done privately.

>You indicated some weeks ago that charcoal-making stoves (maybe water
heaters) could be treated differently, if the stove promoter requested that.
I don't see any such invitation in what you sent. Is the offer still open?

There is such a provision in an alternative draft National Standard for
Biomass Stoves but the current (final) version did not include it, being
approximately the Dec 2012 draft version which was ratified recently. That
will be, in all likelihood, completely reviewed at the end of this year. At
that time many refinements will be made. The current final version
references the SeTAR Thermal Efficiency Test (TET 1.55) which is a sustained
high power heat transfer efficiency calculation, not a fuel efficiency
calculation. Unfortunately the UNFCCC method II-G assumes that the heat
transfer efficiency is the same thing as the fuel consumption which has
caused considerable misdirection in the stove community and some very
disappointing field results. The UNFCCC document needs to be updated. While
there is in the text clear indication that they indent the relative
performance to be the relative fuel consumption, the test methods references
do not provide it which is a major shortcoming.

The current offer is from the WB-CSI Pilot project which is piloting the
finance method and the test method to go with it. Undoubtedly there will be
several changes. One thing we do not know is what the quality of products
offered will be like and therefore even the subsidy level might be adjusted.
This is all in anticipation of success of the pilot and the creation of a
much larger national improved biomass stove programme.

For your interest, the test method was circulated to half a dozen
significant technical figures in the stove testing community for comment and
correction. The final result is interesting to say the least. We are
proceeding with a very simple combination of two popular cooking tasks from
the target area. It is important to consider something Christoph Messinger
said at the ISO meeting which is that while performance tiers are attractive
and valuable, it is likely that projects promoting stoves will want to
weight various performance factors differently to select stoves that address
problems that particular community faces. If the community is not interested
in fuel savings, then the fuel saving aspect of a stove can be down-rated in
importance.

It is anticipated that the CSI-WBT (which might emerge as the CSI-WHT or
water heating test) might be conducted with the inclusion of 3 or 5 relevant
cooking tasks each weighted for frequency in that community, thus producing
a Technical Test that is more representative of actual use. In the case of
Central Java, it is not a single meal proxy but a breakfast burn cycle at
mostly high power, including boiling some water, and a supper cycle cooking
chicken in coconut milk which requires quite low power for a long time. Any
stove which can be controlled in this manner will find acceptance in the
community (on that score).

WB-CSI Indonesia

++++++++

Dear Manufacturers and Vendors of Improved Cooking Stoves

There was a RFTP (Request for Technology Proposals) issued by the Government
of Indonesia seeking improved stoves for Central Java Province.

The relevant document is available in English and Bahasa Indonesia at:

<http://tungkuindonesia.org/images/downloads/Call_for_Clean_Stove_Technology
_for_Testing.pdf>
http://tungkuindonesia.org/images/downloads/Call_for_Clean_Stove_Technology_
for_Testing.pdf

The test method that will be applied is at:

<http://tungkuindonesia.org/images/downloads/CSI_Indonesia_Test_Methods_2014
-1-14_v7.pdf>
http://tungkuindonesia.org/images/downloads/CSI_Indonesia_Test_Methods_2014-
1-14_v7.pdf

There are important documents explaining what Results Based Financing is and
several other very useful items that would form the basis of interesting
discussions here on the Stoves List.

See  <http://tungkuindonesia.org/en/page/60/Report-and-Publication.html>
http://tungkuindonesia.org/en/page/60/Report-and-Publication.html for the
whole list. The two above are items 8 and 6 respectively.

If you are interested you can join the Indonesia Stove Alliance.

Attention Stove Testers and Regulators:

For those involved in stove performance testing, the CSI-WBT method that
will be applied during the product selection process may be of great
interest. It is not like any method you will have seen before and offers a
common framework for testing in every community, on every stove, with every
fuel, every pot and every cooking style. The test results are particular to
the community in which the stoves are to be used.  Performance is measured
against a local baseline.

The basics of it are described in the "Test Method" document. Not every
detail is provided in that concise version but there is a Laboratory Manual
and spreadsheets that do for those with a need for them.

Attention Social Scientists and Programme Managers:

The cooking tasks selected for performance rating have been determined
during carefully conducted field assessments allowing for a characterisation
of the behaviour of people in the target market. Rather than evaluating the
impact of a stove technology during roll-out or after is has been completed,
the product performance list is developed on the basis of expressed desires,
aspirational features, product suitability and the programme goals of the
government and financing institutions. During this preliminary phase many
preconceptions were validated or dismissed and the customer's actual cooking
behaviours captured accurately enough to create a predictive performance
test. This approach has shaped both the target performance benchmarks and
the evaluation method.

Attention Water Boilers:

If you have a stove product that can be operated with no attention after
lighting, such as a TLUD gasifier, please note that there is a new product
type requested which is a dedicated water boiler. This is not a cooking
stove, it is only for boiling water. This common task is done in many modern
kitchens using a kettle. It is a call for a biomass-fired kettle.

The efficiency requirement is much high than for a cooking stove because it
is a dedicated appliance. See the documents for details.  If you have a
device that can efficiently bring at least 5 litres of water to a boil
without any attention after lighting, maintain the boil briefly to assure
the temperature was reached, then shut off, you may have a winner. Eight mm
diameter wood pellets are considered 'available' even if at this time there
is no systematic supply in most communities. However it is intended that
they will be if there is a market for them. Processed biomass and agri-waste
may be your choice.

This type of device can be called a 'fuel, fire and forget' or F3 appliance.
It is an exciting opportunity for inventors and manufacturers.

Attention Product Developers:

There is considerable manufacturing capacity in Indonesia. See the document
2 on the list:

<http://tungkuindonesia.org/images/downloads/kasus_kompor_biomassa_bersih_(e
ng).pdf>
http://tungkuindonesia.org/images/downloads/kasus_kompor_biomassa_bersih_(en
g).pdf

for information on how to connect with the business community.

Best regards to all

Crispin

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott

International Technical Consultant

World Bank Clean Stove Initiative - Indonesia

 <mailto:crispin at newdawn.sz> crispin at newdawn.sz

BBM 2B567CC7