[Stoves] [Ethos] ETHOS Discussion about decentalized stove efforts

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 02:39:36 CST 2014

Dear Ronal -

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I am very concerned about the woodfuel supply chain, after all, if I make
improved efficient stoves that make its easier and cheaper for people to
burn tree's with, it is a wise investment for me to do all I can to help my
customers grow more trees.

I hope we can encourage more players in the cookstove industry to join us
in advocating, promoting and being involved in sustainable  woodfuel
focused forestry projects.

We actually had made a few prototypes of char producing and char using
stoves a few years ago but discontinued due to low market demand.

Teddy

*Cookswell Jikos*
www.cookswell.co.ke
www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
Mobile: +254 700 380 009
Mobile: +254 700 905 913
P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net
> [...]

>> I personally have been lucky enough to have been somewhat involved in
>> both ends of this question of centralized and decentralized manufacture of
>> cookstoves - my late dad, Dr. Max Kinyanjui, would tell me of how once he
>> almost quite the KCJ (Kenya Ceramic Jiko) project when centralized
>> production was initially suggested, and thankfully he did not. Today I am
>> currently looking into designing flat pack systems for KCJ's and other
>> associated sheet metal cut outs ( charcoal making drum kilns, charcoal
>> baking ovens etc.) that can be locally assembled by networks of existing
>> manufactures; this is mainly to reduce raw material transport and waste
>> issues, increase standardization levels, increase customer/stove maker
>> interactions and to reduce end user costs.
>>
>> I feel that one major design achievement to enhance stove dissemination
>> (but is perhaps a bit bad business) is to create something that is so
>> useful and easy to use, understand and make money off of, to huge range of
>> potential customers that replication, sometimes for the better, many times
>> for the worse, snowballs the technology into the kitchens of the ones
>> needing it most.
>>
>> To the Cookswell/Kinyanjui family, seeing our inventions and designs
>> being copied and sold in many countries by many levels of manufacturers is
>> one of the most satisfactory feelings of being good stove makers. We also
>> very much hope that more people will also begin to take the time to
>> appreciate the value of conducting a holistic manufacturing process that
>> gives due consideration to the life cycle analysis of the product(s) in
>> question.
>>
>> And as we continue exploring not only the stove, but the entire
>> ''seed-to-ash'' cycle of household biomass energy, I would just like to
>> send a vote of thanks to all those who actively contribute and manage this
>> list serve, it is very good stove reading.
>>
>> Happy new years and all the best to all,
>>
>> Teddy Kinyanjui
>>
>> Sustainability Director
>>
>> *Cookswell Jikos*
>> www.cookswell.co.ke
>> www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
>> www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
>> Mobile: +254 700 380 009
>> Mobile: +254 700 905 913
>> P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM, Ranyee Chiang <
>> rchiang at cleancookstoves.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting topics for further discussion at ETHOS.  A good way to frame
>>> this discussion may be to think about ways that the different types of
>>> efforts can be integrated together, or how they can learn from each other.
>>>  Certainly from the Global Alliance's point of view, both types of efforts
>>> are important and require different types of tailored support.  It would be
>>> useful to hear some discussion about the specifics of the tailored support
>>> that is needed in each case.  And overall, I think that a discussion
>>> focused "and" not "versus" would be quite interesting.

>>> Ranyee