[Stoves] Fuel and Forestry etc.

Samer Abdelnour samer.abdelnour at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 12:32:31 CST 2014

Hi Ronal (and all),

I realize I hadn't responded to all the points you had made, and had mostly
clarified and expanded upon my initial points to Richard, and in doing so
addressed your points 1 & 2 (again, these aren't a supplement to the
paper), as well as 3 to some degree and 7.

On Darfur (3) there were certainly numerous interventions being promoted.
Various stoves and players. I've captured this in a published study you
might find interesting, which explores the key players in the construction
of the FES market in Darfur. It was what many called a 'stoves war', NGOs
and battling out for donor favour, using the pretext of the most efficient
stove (whatever that meant, see point 7), most of which under the pretext
that better efficiency reduces rape (see point 4). So the current study
builds on the foundations of this prior work, but digs deeper behind the
market to explore the rhetorical justifications (memes, narratives) that
purport stoves to be a panacea for rape. The market-focused paper can be
accessed at the link below:

Social Construction of Subsistence Markets Darfur
paper<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/223513505_Fuel-efficient_stoves_for_Darfur_The_social_construction_of_subsistence_marketplaces_in_post-conflict_settings/file/e0b49525eecda2c181.pdf?ev=pub_int_doc_dl&origin=publication_detail&inViewer=true>

Actually, a shorter version of the current paper (which does not capture
all the empirical materials) can be found at the Stanford Social Innovation
Review blog:

If Stoves Could Kill
blog<http://www.ssireview.org/blog/entry/if_stoves_could_kill>

Related points about charcoal/trees/deforestation. Practical Action in
Darfur was doing incredible work on reforestation/planting. If there were
100 of these initiatives Darfur would be greener than it already is during
rainy season (much of it is contrary to popular press). They specifically
wanted to plant fruit trees which people could value for food/income, and
thus might protect (is this another meme?) amongst other trees.

Points 4 about rape. Rape has come up on this list before, I've posted some
stuff on it prior. Given that the modern Darfur stoves market (i.e. not the
deforestation crisis rage of the 70s-80s) was built on the topic of rape,
and sexual violence is one of the 3 problems promoted by GACC as being
solvable through stoves, I ask: Why isn't rape being talked about more on
this list? Do stove designers/developers not have a responsibility or
interest in grounding their stoves in the immediate contextual realities
and user needs to which they are actually designed to do and capable of
addressing? Rape is certainly no laughing matter, and it is a big selling
point for many stove players.

This relates to point 5 (health). Sexual violence is a significant health
issue, one which has generational physical, psychological, social, legal
and economic effects.

Point 6, GACC. I have no vested interest for or against the GACC or
Clinton's role. But it is certainly impressive given her political status.
I'm quite critical broadly actually of the 'stoves reduce rape' narrative,
not the technology. And why should I not be? The vulnerabilities of
millions of poor women, many of whom are living in war-torn regions are
being marketed as solvable through cooking. Again, my critique is to the
extraordinary narratives that suggest by using simple domestic technology
women can protect themselves from violence. I don't see how thoughtful
critique is misplaced.

Point 7 is something I'm likely unqualified to discuss, but I'm learning
quickly. On this point I'm quite confused by the number of uses efficiency
has come to be associated with. I've not condemned anyone on this list. But
I am aware that there are questions with regards to stoves and testing
methods alike with regards to fuel, smoke, and energy efficiency, and from
a user perspective efficient use of time, resources, fuel, and how these
may or may not impact the lives of users and their households, let alone
more 'efficiency' reduce deforestation, climate change, rape in war zones,
and all the other amazing things cook stoves are suggested to be able to
accomplish.

Hope this clarifies.

Warmly,

Samer