[Stoves] planting trees ( the way I'd do it 1, 000, 000, 000 years from now)

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sat Jun 21 06:15:04 CDT 2014

Dear Anand
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Anand Karve
  To: Kevin ; Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
  Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2014 1:53 AM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] planting trees ( the way I'd do it 1, 000, 000, 000 years from now)

  Dear Kevin,
  I had somehow missed reading your message earlier. Thanks for all the alternatives. The roots of most crops remain in the field in any case and they rot in situ, providing food to the soil microbes.

  # Yes, indeed!! as they say "Feed the soil, and the plants can take care of themselves."  Removing roots robs the soil of organic matter, makes the soil more prone to erosion, and disturbs existing "soil life form relationships."

   As far as biomass based fuels are concerned, we have succeeded in making biomass briquettes and char briquettes, and making gases in the form of wood gas, coal gas and biogas. But users are not very happy with solid or gaseous fuels. There is a general demand for liquid fuels, an interesting area of research in which I am personally interested.

  # Sadly, it is all too easy to make liquid fuels that are difficult to burn, toxic, messy, difficult to handle, and variable in composition. The challenge seems to be in making liquid fuels that are easy and convenient to use, and that have consistent properties, while still being affordable.

  Best wishes,

  Kevin

  Yours
  A.D.Karve