[Stoves] Calc. void space and pellet particle density

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:34:03 CDT 2014

[Default] On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:26:21 -0400,Crispin Pembert-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>Dear Andrew
>
>>It's the same process by which the ash backs of windsor chairs are bent as
>well as the handles of chestnut walking sticks.
>
>What's the flow temperature? I recall people stealing things for an hour
>before bending, but will it really melt at such a low temperature (100)?

I don't think it melts just plasticises, like polythene ( I actually
use a low temperature polythene to mould replacement caps for my two
stroke machines and that is done by placing granules in boiling water.
I'm also unsure whether it's thermoplastic or thermosetting (i.e. you
can do it more than once or not)

>>Lower pressure devices do add a form of lignin powder, I suspect this is a
>calcium  compound that is a waste from the papermaking industry. The give
>away is that these pellets burn to give more ash.
>
>Do the hex rings not break down, or is there really a lot of ash in Lignin?

There is little ash from lignin. When they make chemical paper pulp
they have to remove lignin, this is done by boiling it with calcium
hydroxide to break the lignin away from the cellulose fibre. The
resulting black liquor has a number of uses but I think it can become
a binder, I know the binder I saw comes as a light brown powder and
think its a compound of calcium, sulphite and lignin. When this is
burnt it is the calcium and sulphur that will increase the ash
content. Premium pellets are made with no binders and have little ash
(as does wood in the absence of bark).

AJH