[Stoves] Adding value to charcoal from TLUD stoves

Rajan Philip rajan4023 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 22:27:43 CDT 2014

Dear All,

It has been observed that the charcoal obtained from a TLUD stove can
sometimes be to "activated carbon" grade  -  but not always.

Iodine nos above 1200 has been observed sometimes  -  but sometimes it can
be as low as around 200. Methylene Blue no has been observed as just at
around average/moderate values.

Market charcoal generally has iodine no around 200 to 300 and Methylene
Blue no at moderate values ( around 150 ).

It looks like the following conditions have to be satisfied to arrive at
the higher grade of charcoal :

1.   The biomass used shouild be perfectly sun-dried.

2.   The pyrolysis process has to be extended by a couple of minutes (
after the flame drops down )  -  so that all volatiles in the charcoal are
"forced out" ( with the high temperature of charcoal burning ) which
increases the porosity of charcoal.

"Activated carbon grade" charcoal can be valuable in so many applications
 -  including biochar application. I have personally seen that composting
happens much faster when good grade TLUD charcoal is used in the process.

I hope this will be taken up as a subject for *"intense research"* by TLUD
stove enthusiasts.

Regards

Rajan