[Stoves] Re-inventing the Wheel, Time and Time Again.

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon May 12 07:49:09 CDT 2014

Dear Julien

I remember in Grade 2 a classmate was burned out of his house by a chimney fire in a wood-heated house. They lost literally everything.

>--- or the technology keeps on being invented and forgotten, because I'll bet the Romans were no fools with fire.

The made TLUD fires and hypocausts (underfloor heating) and I have heard once that they build what are called Mass Rocket Stoves or mass rocket heaters or some such name. They have a rising hot, insulated column coming from the fire, then an external barrel of metal over that so the smoke descends, heating the room. There is a group still working under Ianto Evans building them in Oregon. They have a website. Ianto’s 1979 book on Lorena construction (originally from Aprovecho) is mentioned in the VITA book on p.113.

The group that built and promoted Lorena’s went into Cob House building and some are still at it on the West Coast.  There is a popular stove-powered brick bed heating stove system used in China. The Rocket Mass Heater works like that. There is at least one in Ulaanbaatar.