[Stoves] early publications on wood conserving cook stoves Re: Re-inventing the Wheel, Time and Time Again.

Dr.-Ing. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Mon May 12 09:45:23 CDT 2014

Dear Crispin, Julien, A.D. Karve and list,

The VITA-ITGD-publication linked by Julien ("Wood Conserving Cook
Stoves") announces on page iii, that

"A second volume of this book is planned. It will focus on how to introduce stoves through small-scale local programs, taking into account the social and cultural aspects of stove design. It will also include information on testing stoves." This publication may be the GTZ-Aprovecho-book "Helping People in Poor Countries Develop Fuel-Saving Cookstoves".

The intention of my short calculations on fuel consumption for cooking (Topic 12, Vol.45/11) was to show that the burden of firewood on the head of the woman, as shown on the cover page of the VITA-ITGD-publication can be reduced to quite nothing. Essential for this are measures to increase the efficiency of the stove to more than 30%, but also to use the fireless cooking technology, i.e thermos-technology, heat retaining technology. (This technique of course is also essential for reducing the fuel consumption for space heating). I have not seen a reference to this totally clean an appropriate technique in these publications.

To visualize the amount of firewood which could have been saved all the years, one can assume that it is approximately half of the whole non-renewably burnt firewood: saved with a technology which our parents resp. grandparents have used and which should be part of the school teaching.

With kind regards,

Dieter