[Stoves] Basics: about self-ignition-temperature/flash-point-temperature => Restart a TLUD stove after a first run.

Roberto Poehlmann roberto.poehlmann at gmail.com
Fri May 30 19:14:16 CDT 2014

Dear all,

Yesterday I repeated an experiment that i did some time ago:

I used my TLUD stove at lunch time for 40 minutes approximately. Then, when
i finished the cooking tasks (boiling water, etc.), I turned off the stove,
closing the primary air control and covering the top of the stove (after
removing the burner).

Then, 5 hours later, i could restart the stove without touching the
remaining fuel of the first run. Before, I checked that at the bottom
remains some unburned pellets.

I put some alcohol on the char and start the fire again. I use a chimney of
30-35 cm tall, and the primary air control full open.
After a few minutes, the secondary flame extinguished. Then i blowed some
air into the primary air opening, and the seconday flame appears again
(blue flame).

Finally, after 10 minutes or less in gasification mode, sufficient heat
reached the unburned pellets and the stove start again to operate like a
"normal" TLUD stove (pyrolysis mode).

The stove continued the run for 10 or 15 minutes more in pyrolysis mode,
sufficient to boil 1 liter of water, for example.

With this experiment, i could demostrate that you can use the TLUD stove at
different times with only one load of pellets.

I thing that i could relight the stove, because the burner i use can burn
the gases in gasification mode.

Greetings
Roberto Poehlman
Valdivia, Chile