[Stoves] An interesting semi-high mass stove

Huck Rorick huckrorick at groundwork.org
Thu Nov 6 15:20:45 CST 2014

The "CONSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR HOUSEHOLD ROCKET STOVES" produced by the
Republic of Uganda Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD)

Promotion of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Programme (PREEEP) with
support from GTZ  has a design for a "rocket Lorena" stove that it says in
testing was much more efficient than a 3 stone fire, cooking for 2-3 days on
the fuel used in 1 day with a 3 stone fire.  They mix a lot of organic
matter with the clay to make a lighter clay material.  (Document can be
downloaded here
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/apro/guide/HOUSEHOLD%20Stoves%20C
onstruction%20Manual%20Nov%202004.pdf )

Since it is so hard to find information accurately comparing performance of
different stoves I'm curious if anyone knows this stove and has any comment
on it, especially in comparison to inexpensive metal gasifier and rocket
stoves?

The thermal insulation they refer to I think is just the clay with sawdust
or straw.

Huck

Huck Rorick

Executive Director