[Stoves] Standards for stoves - discussion Re: The Clean Stove Initiative (CSI) Forum

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 24 15:14:05 CST 2014

Dear Stovers,

Strike it rich!!!!    I went to the CSI website (link is in the message
below) and went browsing.   I stumbled upon this document:

https://collaboration.worldbank.org/docs/DOC-10999      that is entitled:

2014-10-15 Seminar Video Recording: RBF Pilots on Promoting Clean Stoves
in China and Indonesia

On October 15 this year, while the working groups on standards were
meeting in Guatemala, a Power Point presentation was recorded by CSI and
it is now available to be seen.   Length is almost 1 hr 12 minutes.
Not all is great listening.   But much is quite informative.

OF SPECIAL NOTE is the discussion starting at 56:21 about how stoves are
being evaluated in Indonesia.   We knew about these standards months ago
when Indonesia requested applicant stoves for evaluation for inclusion
in the national pilot program.   But in this document it became clearer
to me.  See the presentation, but here are some highlights:

1.  At 58:00 minutes:   See photos of 15 of the 22 entries (17 accepted
for testing).   Many are easily recognized.   Seems like 3 or 4 have
fans;  one has a chimney, TLUDs and rocket stoves are included.

2.  The timetable of the Indonesia program calls for the next round of
results (finalists?) to be announced in November.   If they are on
schedule, we hope to hear the results publicly by mid-December.   I hope
somebody reports it to the Stoves Listserv.

3.  The testing criteria have ratings of 1, 2, and 3 Stars.

Well worth the time to view this documentation.

4.  The speaker also mentions that this evaluation system was being
considered (probably not seen for the first time) by the Working Group
on Stove Standards in Guatemala.   No wonder there is discussion about
Tiers and WBT, because there is at least one set of alternative
measurements / methods.

Clearly none of this is confidential information exclusive to the
working group members.   It is all out in front of us on the Internet,
if we just find it and call it to the attention of those who read our
Stoves Listserv.

I also know from the Biochar Listserv that the Indonesia system has a
very controversial element concerning "fuel efficiency" vs "energy
efficiency".   Specifically, the char-making stoves (mainly TLUDs) are
given zero credit for the energy value (or other value as a different
fuel) of any resultant charcoal produced.   The wood is no longer wood
if it has become charcoal, so fuel-wood efficiency is going to be
lowered even if the net-energy-used efficiency is more favorable.   To
me, that remains an item for discussion, but charcoal production will
hurt the TLUD stoves in the context of the Indonesian testing.

Note:   With transparency and fair play for all, I will point out the
the WB CSI (like the GACC) has not done, in my opinion, a very good job
of utilizing the Stoves Listserv as a means of informing these "Stovers"
about its efforts.  Sure the websites are there, but please help us out
a bit to better appreciate your content.

And Stovers, when you find interesting sites and specifics, please
inform us all.  I have hardly scratched the surface of what is on these
well-made and informative websites.

If anyone has knowledge of other "stove testing standards" that should
be considered, please mention them to the Listserv.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com