[Stoves] TLUD gasifier being tested at Servals

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Oct 27 20:22:19 CDT 2014

Dear Ron

            1.  I believe Paul suggested awhile back that this char might be
produced in such a way that cooking would be free.  Is this the case here?

I asked and the answer was 'not quite' as the cooks have to purchase their
scrap wood from a cabinet making place. Still, it is an offset.  If they had
free dry fuel it might be the case. I am still hope to find such a case
where there is a reliable market for the char.

            2.  What sort of ratings does this stove have?

I doubt anyone knows. It was delivered with some odd secondary air supply
and this was an attempt to get it into better shape - successfully BTW.  The
CO was very low.

            3.  It is nice to see this operating in a lab with no apparent
chimney or hood.  Any report on reports such as Kirk Smith would make with
indoor monitors?

An indoor air monitor is a test of the room, not the stove. No matter how
many times people ask for 'exposure' from a stove, a stove does not create
exposure - it creates smoke. The room that constrains the smoke (or not)
depends on its architecture.

If you remember KK Prasad, you will know he looked a gas flows in a closed
room with a fixe opening neat the top (Eindhoven, back in the day).  He
concluded that the PM and CO were very badly distributed and that the simple
expectation that it was 'well mixed' were completely off-mark.

Personal exposure is best determined by putting a monitor on a person, not
calculating from emissions. Yes a cleaner stove will create less exposure,
but that tells us nothing (at all) about what the exposure is. The stove
community needs to deal with this in a new and imaginative manner because
there are strange claims being made on this topic.

            4.  Since the char is apparently sufficiently valuable to a
foundry, what price would a biochar entrepreneur have to meet?

Not sure at all. It is pretty cheap. I presume it compete against good
quality coke.

            5.  Any survey reports on customer satisfaction?

The customers are happy using the stove. It has two reactors chambers so it
can sort of be continuously used. It is quite well made as you can see from
the picture.