[Stoves] TLUD gasification rate research .... was Re: The need to continue the discussion: simmer efficiency

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:36:28 CST 2015

Hi Paul and all;

I am glad you found my talk informative.  I have been meaning to post a
description of the slides to "the list," but I have been too busy frying
other pelicans.  Today, I am flogging a proposal for a nut tree park and
permaculture community garden.

The experiment I conducted was to the look at the range of maximum fuel bed
temperatures in a natural draft, top-lit updraft gasifier.

The primary are was fixed for each run by fitting a grate with a set
aperture.
Temperature was measured every 5 seconds in the center of the fuel bed at
5, 10, 15, and 20 cm above the grate.  The maximum temperature was recorded
and averaged for all four thermocouples.  Most of the time, the maximum
temperature occurred as the moving pyrolytic front arrived at the
thermocouple, but in some cases it occurred several minutes later.

The average gasification rate was determined by measuring the amount of
fuel dry-matter lost between lighting the top, and the end of fuel
pyrolysis.  No correction was made for the lag at start-up, nor slowing
down at the end, because measurements of mass loss over time showed that
these periods were not very long.

Gasification was expressed as g-dry matter lost, per meter squared of TLUD
cross-sectional area, per second.

In the final slides were temperature is plotted against gasification rate,
each point is an independent observation (complete run of the reactor).
Some of the points appear as two 'eyes'.  That is because they are a pairs
of replicated runs.

I will write a description for the slides in the presentation in a day or
two.

All the best,
Julien.

--