[Stoves] Test methods for cook stoves

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Mar 19 18:00:40 CDT 2015

Dear Philip,

 ‘reply below'

I agree that developing the improved stove is research, and that once the improvements are proved to the developer’s satisfaction there needs to be one or more independent tests -  where we differ is on defining the tests.

I believe we have to start by developing a baseline of what is actually happening in the target community – what do they cook, how do they cook it, what are the primary fuels, how much of those fuels do they actually use when cooking, what utensils do they employ (if any), and what are the emissions when they are cooking.

Then the improved stove is used with the same fuel cooking the same meal in the same way using the same utensils to see how much fuel it uses and what the emissions are. Only then can you be reasonably certain that you have a better cookstove.

 FRANK>  Let me count the variables: 1) What they cook (should we use five main items?  X  2) how do they cook it (are there several ways?)  X  3) What are the primary fuels? (are there several available?  X  4) How much of the fuels do they use or how much is left?   X  5) what utensils do they use (are there several for the same task?)  X  6) and what are the emissions? (we take readings of several constituents). = [A LOT of combinations to test!]

FRANK> That’s why I suggest testing the kitchen utensils.  I’m guessing there is about two item used for cooking on a small stove: a pot for watery foods and a plancha for frying(?) type foods. Are there others? So we replace water with a formulated common starchy food item they cook. Thanks – I am good with that.  We start the clock when the match is struck > start timing when the starchy food reaches a temperature and plot the temperature as we keep it constant for the agreed upon time for the food to cook. Something like that.

FRANK> For the plancha we start time with match. Continue to heat until temperature is reached (water drop spatter, oil smoking, or some other means?) and keep constant for a specified length of time.  Do we need to actually cook some food?  I don’t think so.

Timing the boiling of water, as you suggest, is not an inherently good test because the users don’t necessarily boil water rapidly.  They may bring their starchy food to the boil fairly slowly, to be certain of not burning it, and then hold it at temperature for 20 minutes to complete the cooking. If you then take them what you believe to be a better stove, and it DOES burn the food, then you are lost before you have even started.  Or they may heat their plancha to nearly red-heat, and toss the meat onto it with a smear of oil, wait 30 seconds until one side is sealed, turn it over, seal the other side, then move it to a cooler part of the plancha to cook the inner parts of the flesh slowly.  What does your water-boiling test tell you about that type of cooking? Absolutely nothing useful.

In a word, one protocol does not fit all.  You have to develop the protocol to suit the user, not yourself.

FRANK> We are in complete agreement in understanding the variables. But we can’t test all variables and any test we come up with will not be as good as the actual person using it (like everything in the World that’s sold).  Field tests may be the way to go but who gets to have their stove tested?  The ones with the money (its real expensive) OR already having an ‘in’? It should be chosen from a ‘most likely to succeed’ based on preliminary tests – like what I have been describing. IMO

FRANK> If we are going to come up with a test method we need to sort through all the complexity and reduce it to a few items that people can afford to have tested and best represent the actual real World. We can’t keep waiting for ‘perfect’ because it will not be perfect.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields

franke at cruzio.com

Good question about smoke from the actual food rather than from the fire. Let me think about it!

I hope that helps.

Kind regards

Philip

Frank Shields