[Stoves] Test methods for cook stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Mar 19 18:31:01 CDT 2015

Dear Frank

You are getting onto the right path but are defeated by an excess of
opportunities.

"FRANK> We are in complete agreement in understanding the variables. But we
can't test all variables and any test we come up with will not be as good as
the actual person using it (like everything in the World that's sold). "

First, you do not have to test with all the variables covered - it is simply
not necessary. Stoves are made for markets. Markets have limitations,
constraints. You test for places where you want to sell the product, just
like perfume or shoes.

"Field tests may be the way to go but who gets to have their stove tested?"

You can do a field test in a lab. You can drag the lab to the field. What
will you do there which you cannot do in another house, or town, or lab? We
have to move away from the idea that a lab test cannot and should not
necessarily represent use. Light bulbs are tested in labs, and represent
use. I already mentioned cars and engines.

"It should be chosen from a 'most likely to succeed' based on preliminary
tests - like what I have been describing. IMO:

No problem. Just test it doing what it is going to be doing. Anything else
is a waste of money.