[Stoves] feedback on German 'stove camp' last weekend

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Thu May 14 16:00:16 CDT 2015

Dear Crispin,  I finally get to give you the feedback from the workshop in Glücksburg: we had 15 people so keen to get going with something practical, that I didn't manage to finish assembling one demo stove to show the different steps and usage of the tools. We had put out the sets of the stove parts on a table and they just started  assembling ZamaZama-stoves with the 3 sets of tools that Rocketworks had sent with the consignment. This was sufficient for everybody as they anyhow formed smaller groups and did not progress at the same pace.
One set of tools consists of three specially adapted pliers complemented by  two regular vice grips and a pair of  gloves (see photo below)

Even people who hadn't held a plier in their hands before in their life had no problems assembling the stoves if they followed the pictures in the assembly instructions or asked if they were unsure how to do things. So no special skill set needed other then the willingness to follow a picture page and not to think that you know better and do things differently (like we had one in the group, who managed to ge it a bit wrong in the end, totally self-inflicted).

The first steps of fitting the tabs in the slots are a bit of a fiddle if you do it for the first time, but people helped each other and those that went on to assemble a second stove did it much faster the second time.
A few suggestions emerged to amend the instructions like pressing out some tabs from the firechamber before closing up the tube and fitting the grate.

Other issues like finding the correct placement of the firechamber on the bottom plate will be solved by Rocketworks in the next model, which will also be easier to crimp the cage to the bottom and top plates. That was the step some of the ladies with less strong arms found more tiresome.

After 45 minutes everybody had finished their stove, some even the second one, and people were positively surprised how easy it was to assemble.
People went away as proud owners of a good looking sturdy stove.

Not a single stove was falling apart and people enjoyed turning them upside down after they had finished them to sit on them. they are quite comfortable I must say. Unfortunately I did not take photos of that, I only have a cute drawing from my colleague Hendie Mawera in Malawi:

I also have the  photo below from Malawi earlier in the year to prove that the stoves can deal with extraordinary situations like 140 kg on top of the stove!

You find a good step-by-step instruction video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSab7sQC9dE ( a bit heavy for bad connections) and some more photos of the event on https://www.facebook.com/RocketWorksPtyLtd or directly on https://www.facebook.com/RocketWorksPtyLtd/posts/446976222128031

Don't hesitate to get back to me if you have some more questions.
Regards Christa