[Stoves] Pyrolysis: No Air?

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Sat May 16 17:50:25 CDT 2015

   1. Hi All,

When I look up the word pyrolysis I find the following:

   1. *Pyrolysis* is a thermochemical decomposition of organic material at
   elevated temperatures in the absence of oxygen (or any halogen). It
   involves the simultaneous change of chemical composition and physical
   phase, and is irreversible. The word is coined from the Greek-derived
   elements pyro "fire" and lysis "separating".
   2. However, I think that folks use it to describe what happens in a
   TLUD, etc? Isn't that gasification not pyrolysis because of the presence of
   some air?

Best,

Dean