[Stoves] Mongolian stove for heating ... was Re: Fwd: 2015 Stove Camp

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue May 19 00:22:32 CDT 2015

Dear Paul

Actually I am not aware of the links to the stoves - I just don't deal with
that side the equation. Um.how about looking on line for Ulaanbaatar Clean
Air Project (UB-CAP) and see if they have something on their website. It is
likely to be in Mongolian which is written with a Russian script so it will
be hard to follow.

Most of the stove that pass are some form of TLUD gasifier. At the moment
only two people are making pretty good cross draft stoves. One is a direct
reproduction of the GTZ7 which can be extremely clean. I recall it has
negative PM emissions as early as 12 minutes after ignition.

The fuel is wet lignite. I would not describe it as 'low quality' which I
found out only means it has volatiles above 20% of dry mass. I would not
describe it as 'low' quality but it has >50% volatiles! I think it is the
best coal I have ever seen in the world. It is easy to light and can burn
extremely cleanly shortly after ignition if the combustion environment is
right. Obviously several companies have it right. If the coal was made into
pellets it would be even cleaner burning. They are still burning lump coal
'as it arrives'. Big pieces are broken up of course.

The promoted stoves run from I think $80 to $270. Most are cast iron with
ceramic interiors. They have to have a two year guarantee.

Crispin,

Please direct us to info including photos about the Mongolian stove for
heating.   I think you have previously stated that it is burning low-grade
coal, right?   And it is some variation of a gasifier, correct?   And at
what cost per stove?