[Stoves] Request for biochar results. Re: [biochar] [biochar-stoves] A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward [1 Attachment]

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 26 14:31:05 CST 2015

Paul et. al.,

I am a particular fan of "nutrient-enhanced biochar slurry" and other
nutrient-biochar complexes (i.e. organic NPK-C fertilizers).

   I read through the attached "Agriculture" Technical Note by Schmidt
et. al. and came across the line stating that, "no scientific study has
yet been undertaken to investigate the fertilizing properties of
urine-enriched biochar", however although this may be true among
"mainstream" academic studies [prior to this study being published], I
do know of one [1] other medium-term well controlled scientific study of
urine-enriched biochar has been done here in Toronto by *Mr. Gord
Fraser* of /*The Ravina Project*/ (CC'd).
  [Although of course these tests were not done in weathered and
degraded soils in suboptimal agronomic systems, but were instead done in
Community Gardens.]
see:

http://www.theravinaproject.org

note: This is the first time I have heard referenced the term, "/flame
curtain/ pyrolysis" (to describe the process that occurs in a Cone
kiln).  It seems an apt name, and seems similar to the process that
occurs in a TLUD stove, although the flame front travels in a different
direction, and there is no requirement for ongoing additions of new
biomass (to the top of the burn pile) with a TLUD.

  It is also good to know that the biochar that was produced by the
"flame curtain pyrolysis  method, "was of excellent quality, qualifying
for /premium quality /of the European Biochar Certificate".

  Does anyone know if any of the (TLUD) "Stove biochars" have ever been
able to qualify for such a designation? (i.e. "/premium quality/" under
the "European Biochar Certificate".)

  I could imagine that perhaps with a fan and very consistent feedstock
-- eg. pellets -- it /might/, but how about without a fan, and with, for
instance, wood chips, nut shells or other farm residues such as straw,
husks, animal feed left over, shrubs, cuttings and prunings etc.?

P.S. I have also not yet seen any practical /*Energy* applications/ for
the (excess) heat that is produced by a Cone Kiln. (Not even for
cooking.. or heating water etc.)
  Has there been any testing and/or advancements made in this area such
that a Cone Kiln might also be used for cooking or any other task that
might /utilize/ the heat in another practical process, at the same time
that the char is being produced?

  note: The practical "duel" application for TLUD stoves -- i.e. serving
as a cooking instrument (Stove) that can also produce biochar, which is
hopefully of a sufficient quality for acceptable use in methods similar
to those described in the Schmidt et. al. /Agriculture/ document -- has
always been one of the attributes of the TLUD stove that has made it so
attractive.
   It would be nice to see a Cone Kiln that has been adapted for some
sort of "duel use" as well. (At the very least so that it does not
/appear/ to the casual observer that all of that heat energy from the
biomass is being "wasted"...)

Regards,

   Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
   Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
   www.biochar-consulting.ca
   Earth Stewardship consultant, Passive Remediation Systems Ltd. (PRSI)
   http://www.prsi.ca/
   Promotions Manager, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network (CSAYN)
   http://csayouthnetwork.wordpress.com/
   http://www.fao.org/climate-smart-agriculture/
   https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=6756248
   48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
   905-707-8754
   CELL: 647-886-8754
      Skype: lloyd.helferty
   Co-manager, Sustainable Agriculture Group
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Sustainable-Agriculture-3866458
   Steering Committee coordinator
   Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
   Community Sustainability (CoSWoG), A working group of Science for Peace
   was: http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/currents/
   President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
   Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
            http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
    Advisory Committee Member, IBI
   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
   http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42237506675
   http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
   http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario/
   http://www.biocharontario.ca
    www.biochar.ca

"Start loving the people in your life more unconditionally and relating to them more conditionally."
  - Wm. Paul Young

On 2015-11-26 11:06 AM, 'Ronal W. Larson' rongretlarson at comcast.net
[biochar] wrote:
> Paul et al
>
> Our disagreement in this thread is with people who are convinced
> stoves shouldn’t be producing charcoal - so I am keeping the stoves
> list (which you may have intended to drop).  They are the ones
> creating problems for the biochar community (problems including
> wasting time).
>
> The list “biochar-international” will have about 1000 papers in 2015
> (less than 100 when the term biochar was adopted in 2007).  Most of
> these are on effects in soil.  Virtually none on sequestration value -
> and only a small number on stoves.
>
> I include the one which has given the largest impact (that I am aware
> of) on improved productivity.  Lots of other references there.
>  Hans-Peter does good work .- and his place of publication is free -
> with a lot more useful data in this and his other free papers
>

> .
>
> I am not claiming this is typical.  But I know of others that have
> similar outstanding results.
>
> Ron
>

>> On Nov 26, 2015, at 7:25 AM, Paul Anderson [biochar]
>> <biochar at yahoogroups.com <mailto:biochar at yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Philip,
>>
>> 1.  I changed the subject line to reflect the topic.
>>
>> 2.  Your request is not of much interest to the STOVES Listserv.
>> so......
>>
>> 3.  I am sending this reply and your message to the BiOCHAR
>> listserv.  Any responses should be send directly to Philip
>> Lloyd<plloyd at mweb.co.za> as well as to Listservs because I believe
>> that he is not subscribed (yet) to the biochar listserv.
>>
>> 4.  Do not expect to find your answers in a reference book from 2009.
>>   Even now in 2015 it will be difficult to find the "conclusive" type
>> of proofs that you are seeking.   Part of the reason is that there is
>> so little money into biochar field trials.   And SOOOOOO many
>> variables that even good results can be challenged. The status of
>> "proof" about biochar benefits might be akin to the status of "proof"
>> about climate change 30 years ago, or 10 yrs ago., and there are
>> still plenty of deniers about climate change today.   Biochar
>> research has a loooooooong way to go.   Much work needs to be done.
>>
>> 5.  Personally, I am a "biochar believer" (within reason) and am
>> increasingly active on biochar work.   But do not ask me to "prove"
>> it.   I am going with my hunches, similar to how I got started with
>> TLUD stoves 15 years ago, and only in recent years is there some
>> noteworthy acceptance.   I hope that biochar can have faster results,
>> but there can be only a few growing seasons per year even in greenhouses.
>>
>> Let's take this discussion to the Biochar Listserv.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Doc  /  Dr TLUD  /  Prof. Paul S. Anderson, PhD
>> Email:psanders at ilstu.edu
>> Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
>> Website:www.drtlud.com
>> On 11/26/2015 4:41 AM, Philip Lloyd wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear All

> [...]
<Snip>