[Stoves] Request for biochar results. Re: [biochar] [biochar-stoves] A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

IPC ipcipc at mweb.co.za
Thu Nov 26 15:19:33 CST 2015

Love it!

“The urine-biochar treatment led to a pumpkin yield of 82.6 t·ha−1, an increase of more than 300% compared

with the treatment where only urine was applied, and an 85% increase compared with the biochar-only treatment.”

First, there seemed to be no control, i.e. no test where there was no change in soil treatment.  Second, biochar only seemed pretty damned useless.

Is this really the best that can presently be said for proper agricultural research into biochar? As an ex-farmer, I would say there is a LOT of research still to be done!

Prof Philip Lloyd

Energy Institute

Cape Peninsula University of Technology

PO Box 1906