[Stoves] Clean coal burning stoves Re: History of clean Chinese stove development.

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:42:50 CDT 2015

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

(snip) There is a power station in the UK that burns car tires. I would say
there is no fuel that cannot be burned cleanly. On a small scale it may be
unproven, but we should get over the issue of problem identification. For
the WHO to say that combustion products are inherent emissions is obviously
misleading. (snip)

--------------separator----------------------------

Crispin, this gets at the heart of something we see here in North America
with wood heating.
As you know, I have spent 20+ years measuring emissions, so we are getting
a reasonable handle on relative quantities.
We can compare 2 appliances doing the same job (heating a house) with the
same piece of firewood, at opposite ends of the emissions scale: an
"outdoor boiler" and a masonry heater. An outdoor boiler is basically a
water cooled firebox, and yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

If we compare emissions, and take relative toxicity into account between
soot and tar, then the emissions from the same
piece of wood are 1000X as toxic when burned in  the outdoor boiler asthey
are when burned in the masonry heater, give or take. Even with an
incredible 3 orders of magnitude difference, it is extremely hard to avoid
getting tarred with the "all woodburning should be banned" brush by the
clean air folks. These days I often refuse to have a conversation with them
if they are unwilling to discuss numbers, which some of them are.

Have a good one..................Norbert
--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders