[Stoves] Having correctlness in NAMES

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 28 07:07:27 CST 2016

To all,

Two messages below from the Stoves Listserv readers are of interest to
the Biochar List readers.

I request from Andrew any links or other guidance to the mentioned
specific open pit method of Jo(h)n Evelyn in 1862. (There are many
general references found by searching with Google.)

>       [PDF]Charcoal Burning in Wyre Forest - Wyre Forest Study Group
>       <http://www.wyreforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Charcoal-Burning-NW20007.pdf>
>
> www.wyreforest.net/.../*Charcoal*-Burning-NW20007....
> Traduire cette page
> <https://translate.google.ht/translate?hl=fr&sl=en&u=http://www.wyreforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Charcoal-Burning-NW20007.pdf&prev=search>
> de N Wilde - ‎Cité 3 fois
> <https://scholar.google.com/scholar?biw=1273&bih=653&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.115339255,d.dmo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&lr&cites=1834857601443027934>
> - ‎Autres articles
> <https://scholar.google.com/scholar?biw=1273&bih=653&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.115339255,d.dmo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&lr&q=related:3ttvW0S5dhmCIM:scholar.google.com/>
> the basic method for /making charcoal/ as follows. "They cut and ...
> language was by /John Evelyn/ in his "Sylva" dated. 1664. ... The
> diameter of this old /pit/ used for the 1973 burn was about .... whole
> was covered except for the chimney /opening/.
>

>       Chapter Ten: Coal - MyGeologyPage
>       <http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/%7Egel115/115CH11coal.html>
>
> mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/.../115CH11coal.html
> Traduire cette page
> <https://translate.google.ht/translate?hl=fr&sl=en&u=http://mygeologypage.ucdavis.edu/cowen/%7Egel115/115CH11coal.html&prev=search>
> /Production/ in the great silver mines of Saxony was slowed by water
> in the ... In Elizabethan and Stuart England, prices for wood and
> /charcoal/ grew faster than for .... scars of hundreds of bell-pits
> clustered in some areas, and modern /open/-/pit/ ... and /John Evelyn/
> complained in 1661 in an essay entitled Fumifigium about the.
It will be interesting to see if the "flame cap" nomenclature was
anticipated in those early writings.   I assume that Kelpie (and others)
will be looking into this and eventually sending us some comments on the
historical aspects of making charcoal this way.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com