[Stoves] Paper Clay

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:34:57 CDT 2016

Hi Crispin;

Thanks for all the advice.

I have a small test of concept project in the works to see if I can get a
porous, radiant burner to work on a natural draft TLUD.

I not optimistic, but if one doesn't try one doesn't know.  The problem
will be sufficient mixing of gas and air before they enter the ceramic foam
disk, and low gas pressured to drive the system.

Because the gas pressure will be low, the open cell structure in the
ceramic foam will have to be coarse.  To do that, I am making a fugitive
template from soybean seeds stuck together with tapioca starch.  The slip
is a commercial porcelain clay.  For a coarser template, I am using
maraschino cherries!!  They will be fired to ca. 1200 °C.

I think this will be a recipe for smoke, and the burner may disintegrate
after a few moments.  But at least I will see what happens.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter