[Stoves] "Vom Pyrolysekocher zur terra preta" Workshop 11-12.06. --> Clay TLUDs

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:09:34 CDT 2016

Dear Dr Karve.

It is interesting to see the contrasting conditions in South Asia.  I will
have to ask my colleagues in Bangladesh how they forecast the use LPG
there, and whether the increase in export trade will make LPG common in the
future.  At the moment, locally produced natural gas is an important fuel
for urban areas, but I am told that demand is greater than supply, and the
gap is getting wider.

I am assisting the Bangladesh Biochar Initiative, so you can guess what our
perspective is on LPG vs biomass fuel.  We would like to make food
production and water filtration a by-product of cooking.  Clay TLUDs could
make the technology more widely accessible. However, good biomass fuel
(i.e., trees) is in short supply, so to improve the energy supply for
households, a diversity of energy sources is helpful.  Sea-level rise is
not going to help matters.

Of course, ARTI is also working with biochar.

Thanks again, for you insights.

Cheers,
Julien.

--