[Stoves] August Stove Camp Fwd: [biochar] Emissions and Char Quality of Flame-Curtain "Kon Tiki" Kilns for Farmer-Scale Charcoal/Biochar Production

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue May 24 19:22:29 CDT 2016

Dear Andy

Thanks for for perspective. I have recently been working in Tajikistan which is a country heavily dependent renewable energy: wood and dung for cooking and space heating.

I assure you that no accessible tree is able to 'live out its life'. They are coppiced almost universally, particularly if it is on the edge of a field. This provides stick fuel for cooking, in particular. Also fruit tree wood is very popular, often stated as the 'preferred fuel'.

In the Highlands the agriculturalists prefer that dung be used for fertiliser. I am sure you didn't mean they should not use that, correct? They burn it because there is nothing else, particularly in Pamir which is a sort of country of its own within Tajikistan. ‎ I have heard of desperate poverty in that region, incomes of $20 per month.

I wonder what you think about the impact on such poor people of policies imagined in the prosperous West when discussing fuels and agricultural/silvacultural ‎policies. As you know the colonial administrations were historically filled with zealous thoughts and indeed plan for how others should live. The developers of stoves and stove programmes have a heavy responsibility to deliver value for the little benefit they are allowed to manage.

It appears there is a mismatch between the ‎goal as defined by the rural masses and the ideas floated in from afar. I am sure you have considered this so am I inviting input on this very practical matter.

Thanks
Crispin

Tony,
I am dismayed that you think sequestration of carbon as biochar is a
non-starter. I was hoping it was the one ray of sunshine in a gloomy future.

Carbon in the atmosphere has increased dramatically for 2 hundred years.
This stimulates the growth of trees (and all plants). If the trees (or
other plants) are allowed to be harvested and the carbon released back into
the atmosphere, the net effect on atmospheric carbon is zero over a
reasonably short time frame. If the tree is allowed to live out its life
without interference, the time-frame is extended, but the net effect over a
century or so would still be zero.
The grand use of biochar would extend this time-frame, hopefully, to
thousands of years, thus lowering atmospheric carbon in the meantime.

There would need to be a world-wide ban on the sale of fertilisers, whether
chemical or biological, unless mixed with biochar, suitably proportioned
and treated.
I cannot see how a fertiliser/biochar product favours monoculture.

Andy Shirley