[Stoves] August Stove Camp Fwd: [biochar] Emissions and Char Quality of Flame-Curtain "Kon Tiki" Kilns for Farmer-Scale Charcoal/Biochar Production

Philip Lloyd plloyd at mweb.co.za
Thu May 26 08:17:59 CDT 2016

Hi, Andy

It is one of the more interesting misconceptions about CO2 in the atmosphere. A typical graph is:

http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/v1003/images/co2_history.gif

But you will notice it has no zero, so it is rather misleading. The usual value for pre-industrial CO2 is 280ppm.

If we put the zero in, we get:

And now the atmospheric CO2 (recorded in the Mauna Lao data, which is the solid line to the right of this graph) shows the rapid increase after ~1950. Isotopic data shows that this surge is indeed due to the post WW2 boom in fossil fuel consumption. Even the IPCC recognises this -  Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and since the 1950s, many of the observed changes are unprecedented over decades to millennia.” (emphasis added).

As for the horse story, it is recorded in Anthony Beevor’s Second World War  (Weidenfeld & Nicholson 2012, p197):

“More than 600 000 horses, assembled from all over Europe, just like Napoleon’s Grande Armée, formed the basis of transport for the bulk of the Wehrmacht in the campaign. Ration supplies,  ammunition and even field ambulances depended on horsepower. Had it not been for the vast quantities of motor transport which the French army had failed to destroy before the armistice – a subject which provoked Stalin’s bitter anger – the German army’s mechanization would have been limited almost entirely to the four panzer groups.”  Try also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_World_War_II

I’m not certain about name-dropping titles – I have several, and in some societies they are reeled off in a perfectly splendid way; in others, neither I nor those whom I meet could give a damn.

Philip Lloyd