[Stoves] stove test

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Sun May 29 18:56:15 CDT 2016

All,

The TLUD-ND stove which we further developed at Aprovecho Research Center in
March was tested at the Lawrence Berkley Lab.  Results are attached.  The
photo of the computer screen showing the full power 6+kw graphs was taken by
Ashok Gadgil.  They have a good team doing the tests.

The stove is in route to Aprovecho RC where it will be photographed and
drawings will be made.  Apro will then update their free online tier 4 stove
book from the old TLUD-ND design to include this new design.  I am updating
the written stove description.

The designs are being put into the public domain.  I hope that the various
principles used in the stove, for turn-down and improved efficiency and
emissions, will benefit some new stove designs in the future.

The fuel used was Douglas fir pellets.  The highest power achieved was 6+ kw
with some cushion above that.  The low power is 1.6 kw with some cushion
below that.  The turn-down is then 4 to 1.  Five kw seems to be the highest
very clean power level.  The high power used in the tests was around 3.25
kw.  At these turn-down levels the ambient room temperature makes a big
difference in performance.  At 24C room temperature there was no problem
keeping the water in the 93C to 97C test simmering range.  At 30C room
temperature the simmering water temperature could not be held below 97C.
The pot skirt had to be raised to release some heat to maintain the test
temperature.  This is possibly what lead to the tier 3 rating for low power
specific consumption.  The catch 22 is that the more efficiently heat is
given to the pot, the lower the stove has to be turned down to maintain a
simmer.

Kirk

Santa Rosa, CA. USA