[Stoves] Major case study about TLUD stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun Oct 2 09:43:02 CDT 2016

Alex that is a great idea.

I have wondered for years if this was going to make it to market and prepared a little for it. I have a proposed method for calculation the performance of a pair of stoves using the fuel in a chain.

The implementation is the substitution of charcoal for coke‎ which is perfectly sound from a manufacturing point of view. A lot of the Eastern USA forests were made into charcoal for steel production. It is not everywhere this setup can work.

A faint glimmer ‎shone in Tajikistan last week when it became clear that one of the fuels available is a high energy coal with enough volatiles to light easily. In a TLUD if burns off the volatiles and goes out, basically. What is left is high energy coke.

Unfortunately the source is a mine that doesn't wash or grade the product. It is too stony to sell. Too unreliable. But it remains a possibility in other circumstances.

PS I will find one of the diagrams as a reminder of the energy flow concept.

Paul,
Thanks. I would encourage you, or perhaps a third party less invested
researcher, to produce a Sankey diagram
 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankey_diagram ) of the Champion stove and
the entire energy system around it that you have introduced into the
Deganga area. It can be included as part of a life cycle assement. It won't
cover social impacts but it summarizes data at a glance
Crispin did this for some tested stoves. I hope he posts a link to them
again.

Alex