[Stoves] Rapid mixing-premixing trial

alex english aenglish444 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 20:28:27 CDT 2016

Paul,

> If there is a spectrum of TLUD operations (and I agree that there probably
> is), then we should be able to identify a few other points in the spectrum
> and (I hope) identify what allows the blue flame and what does not.

Except the premixing is cause of the blue flame,  orange sparks aside. The
variable gas characteristics along the spectrum may make it difficult to
have blue flame consistency at a range of power levels.

> Examples that are at the blue-flame end are more interesting and fewer
> than the more standard TLUD operations with the yellow flames.
>
> What could you do with your set-up to illustrate better that spectrum and
> especially for replication of the blue flame results.

Perhaps a few inserts which adjust the mixing zone diameter and length
yeild results. In this way I may stumble upon more information, but
understanding this completely, with numbers, and then its practical
application  is probably up to someone else.

> About the mixing pattern of the blue flame, I thought of "upwelling" (or
> sort of like the "rolling of water and clothes in an upright washing
> machine.   What is your word?

 I really like your description. You can almost see the blue sheets folding
and unfolding. My word was Torus but its a bit ragged and the motion I
think is more poloidal than toroidal. Hence the washing machine. Maytag
combustion:)

Alex