[Stoves] ISO a miracle stove - to save a life every eight seconds

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 21:21:38 CDT 2016

ISO in the subject line here has that meaning in lonely hearts ads - gone
from US newspapers: In Search Of. But GACC/EPA work with ISO seems to be
just that - ISO a miracle stove.

The Financial Times had an item in July 2012: Spark of inspiration
<https://www.ft.com/content/3136b400-d01c-11e1-a3d2-00144feabdc0> - a
cookstove project to reduce smoke, alleviate poverty and yield "climate
benefits". (A pilot supported by Germany, along with other urban projects
<http://www.sustainable-hyderabad.de/implemation/pilot-project.html#PP4>).

The chief fund-raiser for GACC is quoted, "Every year we see about 2m
deaths as a result of smoke from these traditional stoves. That is a life
lost every 16 seconds or so.” (*)

Now that the death toll has been raised to 4 million - that is a life lost
every 8 seconds or so.

I am not holding my breath - pardon the irony - that miracle stoves will
save a life every 8 seconds, whether at age 1 month or 85 years.

*******
The FT story reminded me of Sujoy's post a couple of months ago about
Kolkata slums when I read in FT, "pile of alternative fuels, including
plastic bags and an old punctured football." No hi-vol solid fuel for this
spark, Crispin. The story is about "experimental economics". Poverty
alleviation came from saving time - "many of the women used the extra time
to work" - and the health benefit presumably from lower smoke or more sleep
-"now we can sleep until 5 or 5.30, or cook food first and then rest”.

Gender relations also changed, "With the new stove, my husband started to
cook. It’s easy, and he is now a good cook.”

Of course, this was with LPG. The ISO IWA process does not regard
convenience or "time taken to cook a meal" (or boil water, which must get
tiresome for modeling large enough observations to determine distributions
for emissions and efficiencies). Standardizing cooking and cooks helps
insane modeling; what can I say?

I wonder how the pilot turned out. Slums are not very hospitable places as
this September 2014 item
<http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140929/nation-crime/article/cyberabad-police-hunt-rowdies>
on that slum reports. As such projects go, some research and advocacy gains
occurred, for sure.

Nikhil

---------------
(*) This is pretty much in line with the USEPA Report to Congress on Black
Carbon <https://www3.epa.gov/blackcarbon/2012report/fullreport.pdf> (p. 82,
213) in 2012, the last year of Mrs. Clinton at State. It also mentions that
US had some 29 million woodburning fireplaces, and over 12 million wood
stoves, more than 75% of them installed before 1990 and so judged to be old
and inefficient. (I plead guilty.)

I suggest reading Appendix 2 of the report to understand how emission
inventories have been cooked over the years.

Like sausage and legislation, what goes on in emission inventories or
Global Burden of Disease is not a pretty picture.