[Stoves] Chervals-India-atmosfair

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Oct 16 17:44:12 CDT 2016

Paul, cc List  (note change of thread name).

	1.  Thanks for the followup on this important, apparently quite successful, new TLUD marketing effort.    Because I have visited the Chervals facility in Chennai, and have seen you operate them, I haven’t had much to contribute to recent discussions.  But today I followed the “atmosfair” part of the story - and have some comments below.  I found two trip reports - and include them in full, to save others the task of translating.  I have bolded and underlined a few remarks from each.

	These trip reports are not particularly helpful compared to your own report - but they are third person and from the company I want to emphasize here.  First point - I think atmosfair would be of great help to biochar if they found a way to include the placement of char in the ground as permissible.  It appears they are now claiming nothing (in dollar/rupees/deutchmarks terms) relative to CDR (carbon dioxide removal) - only energy efficiency.  It is not yet clear to me how they figure the climate benefit - but if someone wanted to place their made-char in the ground - I believe that would be worth more to stove users in dollar/rupees/deutchmarks.  Mainly because there is a carbon multiplier:  more carbon negativity than from the char itself as there is increased above ground growth, more below ground fungi, more savings in nitrous oxide release, etc.

	The main message I get from your report and the following is that the stove is making (not just saving) money for the users.  Which other stove type can make that claim?

	2.   Next is the (somewhat out-of-date - 2014) Google translation of an atmosfair staffer’s trip report found at:  https://www.atmosfair.de/documents/10184/30784/Reisebericht+Indien_Sundarbans_Feb2014/c7701742-39b4-4be4-b27c-54fc6c045991 <https://www.atmosfair.de/documents/10184/30784/Reisebericht+Indien_Sundarbans_Feb2014/c7701742-39b4-4be4-b27c-54fc6c045991>
	(Apologies for so few words on a line and the un-needed capitalization - just the way Google sends it back.   Note the words biocarbon and coal - both mean charcoal - and, more loosely, biochar.   There are also two short videos - but those are related to employment. The fact that there is pickup of the produced char is an important part of the scheme.  I wish I knew more about the supplied fuel.)

"Travel report
Journey to the wood gas cooker project in India, February 2014
Until now I was lucky enough to have cooker projects in Nigeria (including verification), Rwanda and Lesotho
Place to visit, support, prepare for the verification or accompany. in the
February 2014 I went to India for the first time to visit our wood gas cooker project.
Before I left I was very excited and excited. Moulindu, our project partner on site, and
I planned to visit 15 cookers to visit, to interview and on each cooker an efficiency test
To be carried out. I also visited the stove factory in Chennai and befriended
Research institutes.
In summary, I can only say what I have said on the spot: I am
impressed! We found happy cookers
Before, as I know it otherwise only from the Save80 furnace.
We also have a great deal with Sapient
Organized project partners, in particular
In the construction of the infrastructure for the collection of the
Biocarbon is an important contribution to the success of the
Project. With the income from the
Coal sale and the savings
Wood consumption has become the stove for the user
After 2 months.
To the background: In our wood gas cooker project
In India up to now 3000 wood gas cookers have been subsidized by a contribution from climate protection
Price has been sold. The digesters are operated with wood waste. There are remnants of mango wood,
Which are otherwise used for the production of tooling. The wood waste have
The same price for the end customer as other wood, but are supplied tailored. Therefore
There is a lot of interest in waste wood, which also spares forests.
Photo 2: Use of residual wood
Photo 1: a street in the project area
What is special about the wood gas cookers is that they are not only compared to the traditional
Clay oven about 50% save wood, but that they only have to be filled once and no wood
Must be submitted.
Photo 3: User during cooking with traditional clay oven (left) as well as the efficient TLUD oven (right)
The new stove relieves the cookers very much. Aspects by the users especially
The following are estimated at the new cooker: There is no smoke that saves the cooker
Wood, the resulting biocoal is repurchased, the stove looks good and users have more
Time to do other things while the cooker is cooking
In addition, the biocool collects a close contact with the cooking users.
Stoves, which are not accepted in the first days, are taken back and attached
Other interested users. This results in a utilization ratio of almost 100%. In addition to the
Interviews, I could also gain many other impressions besides the cooks. The first
Cook user was Hausmann and one of his hobbies was Hahnenkampf. This he led us directly
in front.
Photo 4: Bengali cook user
After that, we carried out an efficiency test in a household where the cow was still in the kitchen
was standing. Many young women in their sisters were in the immediate distance and saw us giggling
And is interested in it.
Photo 5: Cookers
Very impressive was the team spirit. Together, the employees have a small fund
To help each other. From the sale of the coal is also a
Fund for scholarships for children from poor households. The
Teamgeist also, when we tried to operate the stove with rice stalk. After a few
The employees became increasingly motivated. Eventually came
Employees to the idea of ​​using a folded grater for the air supply. That's it
Actually worked and there was even a blue flame - like a gas cooker. At the
We are now developing this further. The use of alternative ones is also very exciting
Fuels, such as "cow-dung sticks". These also work surprisingly well
In the TLUD stove.
Photo 6: Use of alternative fuels in the TLUD stove
Report by atmosfair Employee Maren Kügler
contact
Maren Kügler
Project implementation & controlling
kuegler at atmosfair.de
atmosfair gGmbH
Zossener Straße 55-58
10961 Berlin, Germany
Tel: (030) 627 35 50-24”

	3.    I couldn’t find a date for the second trip report.  The word “digester” must be a problem in translation.

"Travel report India
Journey to the wood gas cooker project in the Sundarbans, India
First evaluation
It is a sultry Sunday morning, 6:30. The small wooden boat with the passengers and chuckles through the dense Mangrove landscape. We
are on the way to a house in the village Saga Iceland, one of the many small ones Islands about 80 km south of Calcutta. The region
The Ganges Delta
Sundarbans, Bengali for
"Beautiful forest", forms the natural habitat of the Bengal tiger.
The first internal evaluation (monitoring campaign) of the atmosfair project "Efficient
Holzgaskocher Sundarbans "has begun. Since summer 2012 has atmosfair partner
Moulindu Banerjee from the small agency Sapient from Calcutta with its employees
1000 cookers distributed to users and
numerous information events
Are held.
The results of this evaluation are particular
Therefore interesting because it is
To a new technology so far
Has not yet been tested on a larger scale
has been. The first of us visited
Housekeeping this morning has the stove
The area of ​​the Sundarbans in the state of West Bengal
Boats are the most common means of transport
Our visit to a user household,
On the stove is just Dal cooked.
The inhabited areas of Sundarbans.
Last December for 1,000 rupees (about 14 €) bought. "I still remember"
Says Moulindu, "they absolutely wanted the stove after a public show
Take it with you! But that was not possible, because the digesters are stored centrally.
One employee took him to the house a week later. "
The distribution of the digesters is made personally by the respective employees on site,
To train the families in proper handling and to show how to
Efficiently save wood and can boil with energy.
Public demonstrations are announced by handouts and banners a few days previously
And are a common way to introduce the digester in the places and the
To educate people about the important aspects of saving wood. In the Sundarbans
Regularly drives a small vehicle with loudspeakers around and sends one
Small advertising contribution to Bengali explaining the advantages of the wood gas cooker
- including efficient, non-smoking cooking and production of charcoal
As a by-product.
In the next 3 weeks, we will be 32 households, according to a random principle
Of the database,
visit. We would like to consider,
Whether the digester is actually under
The dated addresses
Whether the users with the new
Cookers, what
They like it and what
There are suggestions for improvement.
Rice is the main food
In the Sundarbans and
Is done three times a day
Eaten.
By the pyrolysis process in the
Wood is converted into charcoal
The wood gas cooker is special
Energy efficiency.
In addition, we perform some efficiency tests, which provide information about energy efficiency
And charcoal production, and which allow calculations of CO2 savings.

After the boat has been laid, we have to go a whole way to the village.
Meanwhile it has become very hot, the thermometer shows almost 38 ° C. We will
Welcomed with sweet tea and to our delight we see the digester actually
Is in use: a large pot of rice stands on the gas flame.
We conduct the interview using a standardized
Questionnaire, followed by a precise evaluation
allows. This does not mean that we do
Only three hooks, on the contrary, in the
Usually takes such an interview 30-40 minutes and
Is not infrequent in discussions about climate change and climate change
Precipitation changes and other challenges,
With which the inhabitants of this region,
Which is regularly flooded, daily
Have to deal with.
The visits revealed that the stove in 96% of the
Households are used daily and in many households
The old stove completely
Replaced. Why the old stove still partially in use
Let us know.
"On weekends we often get family visits, there
The size of the cooker is not sufficient to cook all the guests. "
What do you like about the stove? "It allows flexibility,
Once, he burns by himself. During the rice
I can cut the vegetables. With the traditional
Clay oven does not go, because you have to sit next to it and
Take care that the fire does not go out. This is very
Deforestation is a big issue in the Sundarbans.
Few trees means less protection at extreme
Weather conditions, increased soil erosion
And a massive restriction of soil fertility.
Table and an enormous work facilitation. By the way, he halved the fuel consumption. "
We heard an answer in all of the 32 households: the TLUD is especially appreciated
Because of its minimal smoke development, which makes it possible also in closed
To use spaces - an enormous advantage for the monsoon season, which in this part of the
Earth for two months.
The good acceptance of the cook is no accident, but the result of long planning,
Including failed attempts in regions with other cooking habits.
Atmosfair partner Moulindu Banerjee lives
Though in Calcutta, but he is during the
First phase of the project in the Sundarbans
Drawn and has culture and traditions
On the spot.
This is reflected in the very good organization
Of the project: the people
Trust him, and he is very close with
Its local employees,
Which regularly serve the users on site.
The wood gas cooker could be so in
The test phases to local conditions
And has the users by its good handling and its
Wood saving, flexibility and low smoke development.
The old moodstove (left picture) was used by many households almost entirely through the use
The new, more energy-efficient, wood-saving and smoke-free wood gas cooker
(Right picture).
During our visits, we often find human grains
Boat or in the village and thus the curiosity was aroused. Mouth to mouth
Propaganda is perhaps the most important strategy known to the wood gas cooker
To make; On our visit Moulindu gets many inquiries and orders.
Our investigations show that the wood gas cooker enables a household,
To save up to 1.25 tonnes of timber annually. This is particularly the case in this area
Is threatened by massive deforestation and at the same time the habitat of many rare animals
Is a key factor. A comparable CO2 saving is achieved through the use
Of charcoal, which is produced in the digester by the pyrolysis process. The households
Sell ​​these charcoals usually at restaurants or goldsmiths, which allows
A refinance of the cooker within 6 months. Thus, conventional
Charcoal, whose production is otherwise very inefficient - from 6 kg
Wood is only 1 kg of charcoal. This results in a total CO2 saving of approx. 2.5
Tonnes per year.
The balance of the internal evaluation is therefore all-round positive. That is why atmosfair is now
In the next steps each 1,000 to 4,000 additional wood gas cookers in the Sundarbans
And by the gold standard, 10,000 tons of CO2 savings per year
certified

Bericht von atmosfair‐Mitarbeiterin Marieke Tobiasen"

4.  I urge that your next version of your paper make more clear two things.  First, that this arrangement is suboptimal from a biochar perspective.  OK from a charcoal perspective - but I believe that this part of India would be better off with putting char in the ground - at least there should be some experiments supported by atmosfair. It looks like they could soon (maybe already?) have filled their existing local market for charcoal.  Restaurants using charcoal should be making their own.  Possibly also blacksmiths.  The market is much larger than the present one.
	Second,  there is some room for better explaining the economics.  There is a 6 month payback, which should appeal to almost every stove user. And you/they/the_team have an installment plan which probably makes the payback even quicker.  The cost of the stove should not be a big issue;  Rather - what is the IRR (Internal Rate of Return)?

	5.  No disagreement with anything you have written below.  I leave on a ten-day trip in a few hours, but will try to add more later.

Again,  Paul - nice work.

Ron