[Stoves] Burning homes, children, and spewing smokes from stoves (Was Biochar Proposal - Lloyd Helferty)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 03:28:08 CDT 2016

Anil:

Let me throw some questions at you. I hope you reply, because then I will
respond accordingly.

1. What is "smoke"?

2. What is the proper measure of "clean"? Who decides, why and how? Why
does it matter if some stove is "clean", to whom and traded off against
what other criteria to choose to purchase or use?

--

As for ethanol stoves, why aren't ethanol stoves "clean enough"? Because
they have high 15-minute emission rates for CO?

It's exposures that matter, not emissions. Or emission rates. This is why
the ISO IWA exercise is "fundamental folly" without a context. I do agree
with the principle of testing and ranking stoves in terms of desired
qualities. I just don't believe that by itself, boiling water does anything
but feed the researchers.

--
I hope someone else tells me what "smoke" means. There is too much of
blowing rings about stoves and smoke.

Nikhil

---------
(US +1) 202-568-5831

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 10:02 PM, nari phaltan <nariphaltan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> while the cookstoves were well liked, required less fuel and were
>>> quicker to cook over, there was no effect on the risk of pneumonia.
>>>
>>> ...  The results of our study suggest that by themselves, cleaner
>>> burning biomass-fuelled cookstoves are not sufficient to reduce the risk
>>> of pneumonia in the under 5s. They do, however, appear to be
>>> *substantially safer* by _reducing the risk of burns in young children_.
>>>
>>> *Provided by:*Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
>>> <http://medicalxpress.com/partners/liverpool-school-of-tropi
>>> cal-medicine/>
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>>>    Lloyd Helferty, Engineering Technologist
>>>    Principal, Biochar Consulting (Canada)
>>>    www.biochar-consulting.ca
>>>    System Leader and Sector Expert for the "Climate Smart" Platform
>>>    & Project Development Director, Energime University
>>>    http://energimeuniversity.org/
>>>    A member of The Energime Family of Companies
>>>    "Education, training, knowledge and empowerment for responsible
>>> environmental management and resource sustainability."
>>>    Not-for-profit Tax Exempt Status: 501(3C) DLN 17053330310044
>>>    lloydhelferty at energime.com
>>>    48 Suncrest Blvd, Thornhill, ON, Canada
>>>    905-707-8754
>>>    CELL: 647-886-8754
>>>    Skype: lloyd.helferty
>>> --
>>>    Earth Stewardship consultant, Passive Remediation Systems Ltd. (PRSI)
>>>    http://www.prsi.ca/
>>> --
>>>    Promotions Manager, Climate Smart Agriculture Youth Network (CSAYN)
>>>     * LEAVE NO ONE BEHIND *
>>>    http://csayouthnetwork.wordpress.com
>>>    http://www.fao.org/climate-smart-agriculture
>>>    https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=6756248
>>> --
>>>    Founder, "Future Farming" group
>>>    http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Future-Farming-4815612
>>> --
>>>    Co-manager, Sustainable Agriculture Group
>>>    http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Sustainable-Agriculture-3866458
>>> --
>>>    Steering Committee coordinator, Canadian Biochar Initiative (CBI)
>>>    www.biochar.ca
>>>    http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1404717
>>> --
>>>    Chair, Community Sustainability (CoSWoG), A working group of Science
>>> for Peace
>>>    https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8413199
>>>    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/coswog
>>> --
>>>    President, Co-founder & CBI Liaison, Biochar-Ontario
>>>    http://groups.google.com/group/biochar-ontario
>>>    http://www.meetup.com/biocharontario
>>>    http://www.biocharontario.ca
>>> --
>>>    Manager, Biochar Offsets Group:
>>>    http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=2446475
>>> --
>>>    Advisory Committee Member, International Biochar Initiative (IBI)
>>>    www.biochar-international.org
>>>
>>> "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things

>>> esrc.ac.uk/funding/funding-opportunities/greenhouse-gas-