[Stoves] Benefits of advanced wood-burning stoves greater than thought

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Aug 10 04:14:05 CDT 2017

Dear Paul

I believe they are saying that advanced stoves burn more of the carbon which reduces BC and may leave OC. The latter is reflective and thus cooling.

Biomass emissions are net cooling, improved stoves are moreso. I think ‎that is the message.

Stovers, <http://onsiteenergymanager.us12.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=affe8bf6b5232eca3c2c1b325&id=37996b6a6d&e=3fd9308259>
Benefits of advanced wood-burning stoves greater than thought
A recent study from North Carolina State University finds that advanced wood-burning stoves designed for use in the developing world can reduce air pollution more than anticipated.
Article is found at:
http://www.biomassmagazine.com/articles/14586/benefits-of-advanced-wood-burning-stoves-greater-than-thought

But this statement seems contradictory:   (maybe an error in the short summary??   I wonder what the full study actually says):
Advanced stoves are more efficient than traditional ones. So, for example, advanced stoves require less wood to boil a pot of water. However, kilogram of wood for kilogram of wood, advanced stoves produce PM that absorbs more light than PM from traditional stoves, which produce more reflective PM. Absorbing PM can make a large contribution to atmospheric warming, while reflective PM can offset it.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com<http://www.drtlud.com>