[Stoves] Ghana Cook Stove

CHRISTA ROTH stoves at foodandfuel.info
Fri Aug 11 02:32:37 CDT 2017

Nikhil,

any ‚stove‘ is an assembly of two functional parts that need to fit together and be adapted to the local fuels and the local pots/cooking habits: heat-generator + heat transfer structure.

this version of the 'ELSA stove' assembly is designed and optimised for the Ghana requirements in that particular area and the interest of the ASA initiative to assist farming communities to get access to biochar:
it is designed to provide biochar for the smallholder farmers, who are cultivating oil palms as cash crop, and corn/veggies etc. for subsistence. thus the operating principle of the burner is a biochar-making TLUD:
the fuel burner/combustion devices are optimised for the palm kernel shells that the palm oil processing communities have as a residue they can’t use elsewhere, yet it can also be used with the pellets manufactured at very small scale by the ASA initiative. this ‚stove' functions as a biochar-making TLUD, so the 'fuel container' is the metal recipient where you fill the fuel in and then light it at the top. you can also call it the TLUD firechamber/ burner/combustion device, as it is where the flame comes out and the char remains inside after the pyrolysis providing the burnable gas is through.
the pot-holding structure is designed to accommodate both round and flat bottom pots, as both are frequent in the area.but the pot holding structure in charge of the heat transfer to the pot is de-linked from the fuel container/firechamber/burner, as the weight of the pot sits on the sturdy outer structure.

I am sure the stove was not reviewed by D-Lab as it is only manufactured locally for the local communities and would not be transferrable ‚as is‘ to other areas.

It is a really great initiative, driven by people with enthusiasm, passion and vision, but very little money, as they don’t have access to funding, once the EU-funded research project BiocharPlus ended last year. It provided the science behind and the local crew adapted it in a participatory process with the users to come up with something that the users really like. you find more on the stove and the project on https://sites.google.com/site/biocharplusproject/ <https://sites.google.com/site/biocharplusproject/>
happy reading
Christa