[Stoves] New Handbook for Biomass Cookstove Research, Design, and Development

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:16:42 CDT 2017

Hello Paul,

One can not pretend to study and write about the current R&D in the
cookstove sector and not be reading nor mentioning the Stove List.

Dan Sweeney has worked with stoves for a long time, he knows the Stove List,
I am sure he reads it.

This handbook doesn’t represent the current state of the stove R&D.

On the other hand, if for whatever reason, one desires to advertise study
specific R&D projects, he is perfectly free to do so. But then he should say
so in the report introduction.

The introduction should state: « this study encompasses all of North
America, at the exception of Canada and Hispanic states. With a special
focus on Oregon, Northern California and Colorado. »

The report should be called « A practical guide to implementing recent
advances made by some U.S. labs ».

Then it would be accurate.

It didn’t take me long to write a list of other R&D projects.

If the latter are geographically too far away for the research team, well,
everything is on internet. Plus Skype calls work well, they are free of
cost. There is no excuse not to talk about the other projects.

I agree with you Paul, and I cannot understand why so much time, energy and
funding are poured into preserving status quo and perpetuating mistakes.
This is killing us, this is what we should dread.

Solutions :

·         Stop writing and putting money into that kind of report
perpetuating bad science (the WBT)

·         Present a more comprehensive and truer picture of what is really
happening in stove R&D around the world

·         Fund international multidisciplinary teams of researchers actively
developing scientifically valid new testing protocols. This has to be done
outside of the ISO TC 285. I don’t think the ISO TC 285 is the right place
to foster quick and iterative research and development. I don’t know what
happens at the TC 285 despite me asking to be part of it or to be updated
about it. As far as I am concerned, it is a black box.

·         Openly and transparently discuss every issue on testing. It is not
acceptable that no one deigned to address the many concerns about the WBT
that have been voiced by so many studies these past 10 years. Address each
and every one of them. Stop the opacity.

·         Fund innovating R&D projects from international multidisciplinary
teams of researchers using valid testing protocols. Encourage creative
partnerships with the private sector, and with researchers outside of the
cookstove sphere (for example with the heating stove industry in Europe and
America). We really need new blood in the cookstove sector.

There are many solutions, many things to do, but first we must get rid of
the same old, same old.

Best,

Xavier