[Stoves] Project Drawdown

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 13:09:03 CDT 2017

Ron:

I agree with everything you say. Just a slight comment - it is not enough
that "*we need to understand ALL the assumptions for ALL 100
technologies." *We should also validate the logic and structure of the
model. If it is a dynamic linear programming model, optimizing a certain
path to drawdown of carbon from the atmosphere, with limited or no ability
to change the input assumptions over time, then it will basically give
spurious answers.

This is roughly what I remember of certain national and global models of
carbon caps to derive a "shadow price" for carbon emissions. In an exercise
some 20 years ago, I looked at three or four different models for the US.
Certain US government agency could not figure out why all these models h ad
identical assumptions about population, electricity demand growth, fuel
prices, they gave widely different economic costs. I identified the
problems in the way power system dispatch was modeled and in one case,
adding an option of super-efficient coal power technology.

Something similar (in the opposite direction) may be happening here because
they ignore BECCS - "* Too much biochar today is produced without attention
to its huge potential capability to backup wind and solar".*

I for one learned 40 years ago - dissecting global systems modeling at MIT
- that global models are invariably pretentious punditry.  Most of them are
good for scenario analysis, not for policy decisions. Burt this Drawdown
business reminds me of that "wedge" analysis by Bob Socolow of Princeton
and his Carbon Mitigation Initiative. It helps bring unusual options in
focus.

May I suggest

Mediocre review - NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/09/climate/drawdown-climate-solutions-quiz.html
Nice interview - BAS:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2017.1314995
Another nice interview -
https://chireviewofbooks.com/2017/04/18/project-drawdown-is-reversing-climate-change-an-interview-with-paul-hawken/

I might buy the book. I like Hawken's way of modeling. I like the emphasis
on system feedbacks, which puts land and food in the top category. The
numbers one may quibble with, but I find this quote (from BAS interview)
worth citing:

 "In climate science, I think some groups and people have certain solutions
they favor. They can be in a kind of solutions filter bubble. Data that
support their belief, they bring in. And data that contradict it, they push
out. They may double count or may not take system dynamics into
consideration. Our job was to model without bias. "

Now it's up to you to challenge him on his own biases and errors in systems
interactions.

Thanks,

Nikhil

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net