[Stoves] TLUD stove is fragile, traditional stove is robust, no stove is antifragile

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 2 20:47:41 CST 2017

Cheng,    see below

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 12/2/2017 7:48 PM, lh cheng wrote:
> TLUD stove is efficient but fragile. this fragile concept comes from a
> book "Antifragile", written by Nassim Nicholas Taleb, like Dr
> Anderson, he is a Doctor and professor. He have a good understanding
> of man-made artificial system, have deep insight of the weakness of
> some man-made system, and he find a good way to make money (of no
> small amount ) through it from financial market.
>
> Fragile thing like Titanic ship, is high efficient, beautiful, but
> there were big risks, which cannot be avoided anyway, underneath the
> surface, when something wrong happened eventually, inevitably, no one
> can afford it.
>
> I criticize TLUD stove here, not in malice, but try to make something
> clear, maybe we can find out the hindrance of its popularity, find a
> direction to improve it, and help the user to use it in a safer way.
>
> TLUD stove separates gas combustion from gasification, and is
> batch-feed, this combination create efficiency and convenience, but
> also big risk. many thing can cause the fire ( gas combustion )  go
> out, too much or too little gas, too much or too little air,
> temperature too low, (too much or too little prmary air, cause too
> much or too little gas, both can lead to extinguish of the secondary
> combustion), too much moisture in the fuel. once the fire go out,
> great smoke jet out like crazy, poisonous, and the fuel is burning
> inside the inner cylinder like crazy, no easy way to put out the first
> combustion. it is very dangerous and bad situation for housewife,
> neighbors scared by the big smoke, people even can got killed by the
> poisonous gas. (when water can't low down the charcoal temperature,
> water H2O can be turned into poisonous CO gas immediately).

The paragraph above does not express the reality of 40,000 TLUD stove
users living closely together in We s Bengal, India.   the concerns you
raise can be presented in "theory", but that is ot the reality.   You
are writing line the TLUD "deniers" of 5 to 12 years ago.   I heard that
over and over.   It is in the big New Yorker magazine articles.  Those
people are not saying such things any more, at least not publically or
where their comments could leak back to me.
> Traditional stove have no such thing, because it is not batch-feeding,
> not burning in a tight closed space. and safer in unexpected
> situation. it is robust. that's why people prefer it over TLUD stove
> maybe.
>
> I have no clear idea yet, I just typed this message, not thinking it
> thoroughly.

I accept your statement that you are basically not yet well informed or
with much experience.   Stick with the TLUD stoves.   They are the wave
of the future.   They can become better, and that is where you and
others will eventually make important contributions.     -- And there
will be many who will sit on the sidelines.     --- Progress in the past
few years has been great, and getting  better all the time.

I'll sign this message to show my full bias.

Dr TLUD