[Stoves] TLUD stove is fragile, traditional stove is robust, no stove is antifragile

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sun Dec 3 07:26:18 CST 2017

On 3 Dec 2017 at 11:14, lh cheng wrote:

> In my case, I have suffered one gas poison.
> dizzy and paralyzed a little bit for 10 hrs, I only use TLUD less than 1
> month, many times big smoke go out from my window, my neighbor is very nice
> not calling the police. I can't imagine how a housewife deal with the hard
> situation, maybe DIY is not a good idea.

I have been experimenting and regularly cooking, all year round for at
least ten years by now, and I have never ever experienced anything like
the poisoning you describe, but then I have NEVER run a TLUD indoors -
always outside, albeit not far from the back door.

In all that time and still to this day as happened only last week, I can
still make a smokey mess, losing the flame, and I would venture to say
that this will happen occasionally for as long as you experiment in so
far as you may be pushing at the limits of stove configuration and fuel
in your experiments, its moisture content in particular I still find hard
to estimate without a damp meter, so from time to time I get caught out
by outdoor uncovered wood that turns out to be wetter than I had
anticipated.  When this happens there are a number of ways to retrieve
the situation or bale out of it altogether if the miscalculation has been
too great!  The simplest way to put an end to disasterous smoke, refusing
all attempts at re-ignition is to have a biscuit tin available in which
to tip the entire contents of the stove and put the lid on tight.
Outside of course you could also douse the smouldering pile with water,
but I prefer the air starvation method of quenching as what then quickly
cools is potentially reusable.  I quench all the remaining char this way
so that by riddling out the ash it is immediately available for the
barbeque.

If you can dry enough fuel indoors to supply your cooking needs, then
building and modifying your stove(s) to burn a more consistent fuel is a
more reliable way to go.  If indoor drying is a problem for supplying all
your wood needs, then I have found I can usefully modify the kind of fire
I want by mixing in damp outdoor wood with stove top dried.  A shallow
layer of damp at the bottom of a simple fixed air ratio TLUD stove can be
really useful for extending total pyrolysis time, but at a more 'simmer'
level after an earlier more vigorous burn with the drier wood at the top
for the start of combustion.

Ways to revive the lost flame:

I grate candle wax with a serated knife over the top of my fuel as my
preferred way to start my stoves, and often if the loss of flame is not
too serious, sprinkling a few more gratings on top can revive the fire
which can then be kept going.

The other way I use is blasting air into the top of the stove through a
pipe or I use a barbeque hand cranked fan.

Sometimes even  just throwing a lighted match into the pot, such that the
brimstone is still burning as it enters can re-ignite the lost flame.

I cook outdoors even when the temperature is below freezing.  As I don't
have any kind of roof cover outside it is usually only rain that puts me
off cooking outdoors.

I sent a post to this list last January, illustrated with photos of my
experiments with utilising damp wood to advantage in controlling the fire
I want for various cooking tasks, using the simple and cheap stainless
steel natural draft camping stoves, which are made in China and sold
through ebay and amazon.  I think they are excellent, and reveal to me
truly intelligent design which I have found to be optimum in versatility
for their intended purpose, ie. camping where wide fuel variability is
the rule, and reliability of starting and robustness of a useable fire
exceeds clean emissions as a priority.  We have lived for a month at a
time entirely relying on these stoves for all our cooking.

Look in the archives for: