[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 11 20:07:23 CST 2017

Dear Scott and Todd,       (another of 3 replies to about a dozen
messages on this topic.  Not in any special order.  I thank everyone for
their comments.)

The essence of TLUD operations is the pyrolysis stage.  Stoves that are
true TLUDs and THEN continue to consume the char (which is called "char
gasification") will end up with only ash.  They were operated in two
ombustion modes (first was TLUD pyrolysis, and second was charcoal
burning).  Those could be valid as stoves, but the second mode should be
noted, and not simply called TLUD only stoves.

The other type of stove is the "fan jet" or high vortex  stoves like the
Philips /ACE, which are designed to push plenty of secondary air
downward onto the top of the created char, with the result of very
little char production.   I prefer to not call them TLUD stoves, and
instead use a name that is appropriate to recognize the distinctive way
those stoves work, which may be more desireable to some people. Why call
it a TLUD and not take credit for the powerful fan features?

Todd might specifically identify which stoves he is mentioning. [That
would be a very appropriate discussion of the stoves that he is able to
provide to interested people.   And DO include the prices.]

Ron's comments about the 3 main ways of handling the char (his message
dated 10 Dec) is well stated. (He asked for my opinion.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com