[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Dec 11 21:56:53 CST 2017

Dear Paul

I am surprised by the description of charcoal combustion offered below. If you hold that a TLUD is making a combustible gas then burning it separately, would you not also apply this same definition to charcoal?

A charcoal gasifier, such as that produced by YDD in Yogyakarta, is a TLUD that makes CO. A charcoal burner might make gas first and might now. Carbon will go directly to CO2 on the surface of the char above 400 C with a probability of about 6/7. The other 1/7 it goes to CO.

A bottom-lit updraft charcoal fire like a BBQ is fundamentally different from a charcoal gasifying TLUD making CO, don’t you agree?

Thanks
Crispin