[Stoves] Understanding TLUDs, MPF and more. (was Re: Bangladesh TLUD )

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 11 23:01:37 CST 2017

Crispin,    see below.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 12/11/2017 9:56 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

> Dear Paul
>
> I am surprised by the description of charcoal combustion offered
> below. If you hold that a TLUD is making a combustible gas then
> burning it separately, would you not also apply this same definition
> to charcoal?

Certainly not.   And you provide the reason for  the difference. You
point out (next lines that are your writing) that char-gasification
occurs directly on the surface of the char.  So there is no movement of
a gas (supposedly CO?) to a different position where it is combusted to
CO2.

> A charcoal gasifier, such as that produced by YDD in Yogyakarta, is a
> TLUD that makes CO. A charcoal burner might make gas first and might
> now. Carbon will go directly to CO2 on the surface of the char above
> 400 C with a probability of about 6/7. The other 1/7 it goes to CO.
>
> A bottom-lit updraft charcoal fire like a BBQ is fundamentally
> different from a charcoal gasifying TLUD making CO, don’t you agree?

Again, no.   Both are piles of hot charcoal that are receiving air from
underneath.   With equal amounts of air from underneath, both would make
CO2 and CO is similar amounts.

The TLUD is not trying to create CO that will rise to then be burned
where the secondary air enters. If that actually functioned well, we
would expect to see a nice light blue flame of CO combustion at the
level of the secondary air entry, which does not happen.

When air comes up under the hot char, there is char gasification that
does not selectively stop at CO instead of going to CO2. (Reference:
Your statement above about 6/7ths going to CO2.    I do not know the
original source, but I will accept your statement as correct until shown
otherwise.)

Do you accept my comments as correct?   As you have said at other times,
established science is not subject to a vote.

Paul