[Stoves] CO2 drawdown (Re:Jock) / TLUDs in West Bengal

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 5 17:06:16 CST 2017

Cecil,
On 2/5/2017 12:43 PM, cec1863 at gmail.com wrote:
> Dear CPP, Jock, Paul, et al,
>
> I think I gave my best response to your question in my next to last
> post to the list‎ on the topic of CO2 drawdown (re Jock) which began
> with Occam's razor.
Yes, that was a very good response!!!   (which I happened to read after
this current message from you.).   In very many ways I am in agreement.
And I think that you will find that the approach of the West Bengal TLUD
stove efforts is very close to what you are recommending.   Not a
perfect match, but quite close.

Could you boil down  your two messages into 5 to 15 "check points"
against which the West Bengal TLUD efforts (and other stove projects)
could be analyzed?  You pull those check points from your messsages,
without reference to any stove or project.   Examples:

Some are saying the same thing:
*******
> the only way to turn the charcoal production into a socio-economic
> benefit in the minds of local stove users is to create a reliable
> local demand for the surplus charcoal produced by a TLUD.
This was done in the Deganga project (see rhe report)
******************
Disagree partially here:
> My idea is to start the stove revolution by smuggling radical
> improvements in efficiency and emission reductions  without the stove
> user having to change his or her stove skills and operating behaviors
> very much or at all.
TLUDs are "radical improvements" in the eyes of the West Bengali TLUD
users.   In eastern Darjeeling they called it "jadu" (magic) stove.
They still cook the same foods in the same pots.   And fuel preparation
is NOT an issue there.     But they changes were not smuggled in or
indirectly presented.   The stoves were demonstrated publically, and
people wanted them.  No need to trick anyone.   If the people will not
accept the changes, they will reject the stoves.  MUCH depends upon the
quality of the introduction of the stoves, which is well done in WB.

other issues.   eg, to NOT be by a big company?

*********

It remains to be seen if the West Bengal work can sustain its initial
successes and grow and be replicated elsewhere.

Looking forward to support by Stovers.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com