[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT

Xavier Brandao xvr.brandao at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:58:07 CST 2017

Dear Adam, Tami,

/"What I learned from Jim Jetter is that the process for discussing the
standards is open, transparent, and is intense this year: a weekly
conference call, and new members are invited to join and bring their
perspectives to the table. //...there is a way to do so, and Jim
encourages people to.//"
"//You can have your voice heard in this endeavor by contacting your
national standards body and getting appointed to the technical committee
and working group that you are interested in.//"/

I wasn't able to join the TC 285 working groups.
I just asked Sally Seitz: France is not on the list of countries, so I
cannot join.
There are only 29 participating countries, 14 observing countries.
The TC 285 is great, but it should not be the only place for discussion
on the protocols.
Tami, it is fantastic if you are able to share even a small summary of
the discussions on this List. That would help a lot.

Dear Adam,

Thanks for your reaction, it is great that you and Ron shared what you
heard at ETHOS, it allows to continue the discussion.

/"What I learned was that the WBT was designed primarily as a way to
measure the impact of small design changes upon stove performance"/
The WBT 3.0 protocol says: "The test is not intended to replace other
forms of stove assessment; however, it is designed as a simple method
with which stoves made in different places and for different cooking
applications can be compared through a standardized and replicable test.”
Indeed, in the document, it is reminded several times that the WBT does
not replace a field test, where one might get different results. But
there is already this idea of comparing apples and oranges.

The WBT has been commonly and globally used to rate, certify and select
stoves for dissemination. Even to get carbon credits. The organizations
which promoted the WBT and taught it to others, knew, did it, kept doing
it and were very happy with that state of affairs. Did they know all
along that the WBT was only good for little tweaks? If then, why did
they keep recommending the WBT for large stove dissemination programmes?
And all of a sudden, what we hear is: "OK, but wait, in fact the WBT is
good to .... design stoves!"

The Aprovecho Research Center and the PCIA wrote: "The research staff at
Aprovecho decided that it would be valuable to test a variety of cooking
stoves from around the world. *The intention was to provide all
stakeholders with information about how to make the best stove choice.*"
Water Boiling Tests were performed.
I don't think any more needs to be said.
This was in "Test results of cook stove performance", a 128-page paper,
published in January 2012.
Link on the PCIA website here:
https://www.pciaonline.org/resources/test-results-cook-stove-performance

Many organizations around the world performed WBTs or had WBTs performed
in order to inform decision-making. Project leaders and businessmen want
to sell stoves, period. Tell me what stove is good and we'll distribute it.

In the GACC catalog, which is a, sic, "global guide to clean cooking
solutions", 418 tests out of 647 are Water Boiling tests.
http://catalog.cleancookstoves.org/test-results

How many stoves were "ISO" certified clean and improved by the Aprovecho
Research Center, with WBTs?
You can bet than once an organization gets such certificate, stove
development and tweaks are over, wide production and distribution starts.

/"its ideal use (to compare the impact of iterative design change on
stove performance)"/
Is the WBT even of any use for that? The questions asked by the studies
remain unanswered by the WBT proponents.
They have the burden of proof to show us how the WBT is helpful for
stove development.

/"throwing the baby out with the bathwater"/
Unless there's no baby in the bathwater.

"the methodology that many in the sector have developed"
This again, is sunk cost. The number of people having worked on the WBT
is irrelevant. Only the usefulness of the protocol, the tool, or its
unusefulness, is relevant. If the hammer cannot hammer, it's no use to
anyone.
Who are these many people who worked on improving the WBT by the way?
Can they speak on this List?

Best,

Xavier