[Stoves] News: Cooking pollution by propaganda - GACCing India

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 18:58:02 CST 2017

List:  cc Nikhil and Crispin

	Please note that the terms biomass and biomass stoves nowhere appear below.

	I take this whole message as proof again that we are hearing from a climate denier;  the whole world couples the words “coal” and “climate”.    Not here.

	I have underlined and bolded Nikhil’s terms below that lead me again to this sad “denier” conclusion.  Glad to explain my underlining if anyone doesn’t understand how out of place this whole message is on this list.

	The last three sentences are incomprehensible - and are NOT supported in any way by the NY Times article that is referenced.  I read it as mostly arguing against coal for India. Apparently Nikhil views it oppositely.

Along the way,  I came across these two on coal and health in India:
http://www.nature.com/articles/nature15371.epdf?referrer_access_token=oPeC6dMw8E4sF-wJpHFKKdRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0P7-mtyJ35yzVDTICbqYE-HmpWfKkzyRVYn1vpVPXnMBvMSXCFBNhib1tmNYqxPwBhH4iuV771SpdzIBDOJNBo8kBjWzyk_QX4lD7LU26XKSnKplulipZuS368wPUJmIPhDa2DhAMnAPfoufW0lL-vMldUqBJjocJsxa4rmPr5QxsIXX-r3_-i41wAMFKzMthxZNl6wBXPJkAElbxn8P4Z9vTEs7D4sYVGy9VjWy4k54A%3D%3D&tracking_referrer=www.theguardian.com <http://www.nature.com/articles/nature15371.epdf?referrer_access_token=oPeC6dMw8E4sF-wJpHFKKdRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0P7-mtyJ35yzVDTICbqYE-HmpWfKkzyRVYn1vpVPXnMBvMSXCFBNhib1tmNYqxPwBhH4iuV771SpdzIBDOJNBo8kBjWzyk_QX4lD7LU26XKSnKplulipZuS368wPUJmIPhDa2DhAMnAPfoufW0lL-vMldUqBJjocJsxa4rmPr5QxsIXX-r3_-i41wAMFKzMthxZNl6wBXPJkAElbxn8P4Z9vTEs7D4sYVGy9VjWy4k54A==&tracking_referrer=www.theguardian.com>

https://www.wired.com/2015/11/climate-change-in-india/ <https://www.wired.com/2015/11/climate-change-in-india/>

	But I propose that we drop the topic here on this list.  I’ll join Nikhil on another list of his choosing - with my expectation that much of the discussion about coal will have a climate flavor totally absent from Nikhil’s message below.  That climate topic is an important part of many on this list’s reason for discussion on the carbon negativity aspects of charcoal-making stoves.  India appears to be the main stumbling block to a happy climate future - while likely also having an even greater pollution than their #1 position today (both Indoor and outdoor).    I had hoped for better from Prime Minister Modi.  Thank goodness that China is on a different path.

	I urge others to decide whether Nikhil continuing negative reactions to Kirk Smith (very active in India), GACC (very active in India) and DALYs (highest in India) are somehow related to his defending India’s likely growing (not declining) use of coal.  I repeat I am planning to not talk any more about coal (and especially coal in India) any more on this list.

Ron