[Stoves] Coal and biomass in India (Re: Ron)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 10:55:23 CST 2017

Andrew:

I am an old man, but I do 10-finger typing on an old IBM keyboard. I have
used some "cut and paste" when I am quoting others and "cut" option is
available (otherwise I write it out).

And I do type quite slowly. Thinking and research take up 80% of the time
for my posts; I wouldn't challenge Ron until I was absolutely sure of my
sources and my language. Sometimes I write but save drafts, then finish
several quickly and send out. (I have more than 100 incomplete drafts for
this list! I still owe Ron a reply on my 28 sins of impudence.)

*****

Anyway.  when I asked Ron - "not be interested in emissions from coal
combustion? Or you only want to save people from biomass smoke and not coal
smoke?" I meant cooking stoves ONLY, as confirmed in the GACC sponsored study
New Report Tracks Household Energy Emissions for 640 Districts in India
<http://cleancookstoves.org/about/news/03-15-2016-new-report-tracks-household-energy-emissions-for-640-districts-in-india.html>,
to Emissions – Household Cooking & Heating
<http://www.indiaairquality.info/emissions-cooking-heating/>.

I stand absolved of the crime of shooting a "straw man". This is not about
general air pollution or PM2.5 from other sources.

Yes, the "emissions" in this study are "manufactured" - or in polite
language, "estimated by models". But I commented earlier that this study is
path-breaking (or something similar). This kind of matching meteorological
data with source apportionments and emission rates on the ground -- I don't
know the details of the model yet -- can be incredibly useful in creating
scenarios of "attributable" v. "avoidable".

Stay tuned. There is lot more in this ISO IWA song-and-dance confusing
"attributable" with "avoidable". Kirk Smith warned about that two years
ago.

Nikhil

---------
(US +1) 202-568-5831