[Stoves] Steam cooking (Re: Frans)

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 04:06:28 CST 2017

On 27 January 2017 at 03:32, Traveller <miata98 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Frans:
>
> Thank you for bringing up steam cooking. Is "ambient steam cooking"
> different from "pressure steam cooking"?

My answer would be not necessarily; I cook my vegetables in steam  at
ambient pressure using a folding steamer like

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs6.thisnext.com%2Fmedia%2Flargest_dimension%2FOwnza-Buy-online-Latest-Zicome_194B6D7F.jpg&f=1

As I find it cooks the vegetables without making them mushy.

I don't use a pressure cooker but you could either use a similar
device in one or allow the food to be immersed in the water.

So a pressure cooker works at a higher temperature because the
increase in pressure raises the boiling point of water, this higher
temperature must increase the rate of hydrolysis of the food  but I
suspect it changes some other chemical reactions too.

Frans has previously reported that pressure cookers destroy vitamins
at above 120C, The pressure needs to be above 10 lb/inch^2 to reach
this temperature.

Andrew