[Stoves] Chinese stove photo sequence

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Fri Jan 27 12:57:41 CST 2017

On 27 Jan 2017 at 9:59, Frank Shields
wrote:

> It should rate as 33.5% moisture along with many other characteristics
> (size, shape, carbon densities etc.). and if the combustion chamber is
> able to use such fuel with that moisture (not outside the predetermined
> moisture limits) it should work. We need to pick and set up test methods
> for determining Limits for different common variables for stove types.
> Report the range they work.

I would find that valuable certainly.  The
Reed stoves made no claim as far as I
was ever aware.  I discovered the hard
way that they were more fuel fussy than
the Chinese ND camp stoves which are
more forgiving, but at the cost of sooty
pans.  Utilising the full fan speed
compensated to some useful extent
whereby a moderate cooking heat,
otherwise obtainable with dry wood on
half speed was obtainable.

I'm not sure how much anyone might
consider I have already tested this for
this particular stove?

I don't believe I could get this stove to
burn a full load of this wood, as when I
tried, this was when I discovered the
benefits of the burn once persistence
had eventually paid off and that a two
thirds load is the maximum I have
managed to consume in it, but only by
refuelling the top one third of the
volume with dry, such that migratory
pyrolysis then progresses slowly
downwards, but only with further
progressively reduced refuelling until a
point is reached where it will self
sustain somewhere near the bottom.

Different rules apply for a bottom layer
of this wood where the spike would
otherwise occur as the bottom of the
stove reflects the heat back into the fuel
more than a lower layer of wood. I have
yet to experiment with 'how wet can it
get?' It is that potential that asks a
different question than you appear to be
asking since it is addressing the
flexibility to be able to successfully and
even advantageously burn *some* wet
wood primarily by exploiting the
tendency of the bottom layer to flare
once reached, but also by varying
overall moisture content as a way to
achieve the heat and duration desired
where there is no air adjustment by the
stove.

I would be interested to hear if anyone
has successfully burned wood with such
a high moisture content in a TLUD, or
what anyone has designed a TLUD to
tolerate?

'Carbon densities' I would not know how
to determine other than by reporting
species and condition of wood.  It
occurs to me that one third moisture
achieved through partially seasoned or
dried green wood might have different
burn characteristics, perhaps drying out
more slowly in the stove than seasoned,
but brittle wood.  Is this what you are
referring to by 'carbon densities'?

In general I have been surprised by how
little difference is made by the size of
the fuel, certainly compared with
varying the moisture.

Thanks for replying,

Neil Taylor