[Stoves] Biomass stoves v. PV-induction cooking (re: Frank)

Dr. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 28 08:10:43 CST 2017

Dear Nikhil,

We know that the humane future requires low resource consumption and low
emissions. The transition to cooking with PV is the opposite of that.

When we compare PV-cooking with solar cooking, we see that with solar
cookers the solar energy is converted directly to the required heat,
practically without intermediate processes. With a 1.4-m reflector
cooker with an effective power of about 500 W you can bring to the boil
more than 30 liters of water per sunny day, you can also roast, bake,
preserve and do much more. Attending needs only a few seconds per hour.
(See: http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Dieter_Seifert Documents:
"About Peace Making Effects of Solar Energy").

Cooking with PV with 500 watt would require a PV system with minimum one
axis tracking with approx. 4 square meters of PV-panels. The solar
panels would cost about 500 Euro without installation, chemical storage
(battery) and without the cooker. For cooking with battery there are not
only additional costs. The battery has a limited lifetime and a large
consumption of limited resources – the opposite of the necessary way. If
we think of people in need, this PV application is hardly viable.

Best wishes,
Dieter

---