[Stoves] : Re: Biomass stoves v. PV-induction cooking (re Frank)

David Stein ambwat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 21:26:44 CST 2017

Hi Ken, Nikhil, and Everyone,

Especially in a developing world context, converting sunlight into
electricity and then converting the electricity into heat is very
inefficient.  It would be a far better use of resources to solar cook
directly. Remember, a conventional solar cooker/oven is essentially a solar
powered slow cooker.  And with a parabolic dish one can attain temperatures
sufficient to fry, etc.  And one can use the heat from the sun when the sun
isn't shining with a PCM (phase change material) devices like the Sun
Bucket (which I described in a post earlier this month.)

But if you really like converting stuff (and because steam cooking has
become a topic of conversation on this list)how 'bout converting the heat
into steam and cooking with the steam as with the Solar Steam Cooker, a
device developed by Jo Muller of sun2steam in Australia.  It is described
in a powerpoint presentation (pdf) by Jo Muller here
http://www.solaripedia.com/files/989

And speaking of the wise use of resources, please remember Bernhard
Muller's post about fireless cookers.  This may well be the epitome of
resource conservation from a cooking perspective.

And while I'm at it, it seems to me that biogas is more sensible than LPG.
Besides being a clean burning fuel, it could a handy solution to a disposal
problem as it can be made from organic waste found in virtually every
household/community on the planet.

Apropos of nothing...for those interested in sustainability you may be
interested to see a video of a recently completed project at Divyajyoti
251116 - YouTube <https://youtu.be/RMrSwzQTtk0>  Nikhil, the project is
located near Mandvi in Gujarat.

Best,

David