[Stoves] Direct solar thermal (Re: David Stein)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 22:57:07 CST 2017

David:

Thank you. This list needs more communications about non-biomass
competition, though for technical details, other listservs are more
appropriate as Ron has pointed out.

I agree in part. For large-scale direct heat and high capacity utilization
- i.e., for "commercial" investors - solar thermal may be a superior
technology if the after-sales service and maintenance is assured (as is the
case with solar water heating for domestic or industrial use).

This is the same argument I made about biomass stoves to Frank yesterday --
commercial markets are a better bet for, ahem, "commercialization".

Bleeding hearts like to spill blood and line pockets by screaming "clean
cookstoves for women's empowerment, livelihoods", blah blah, when all they
mean to do is push LPG and electricity - which I don't mind - and pay
services of lips and tongues to "biomass cookstoves for the poor" - which I
would like to see more serious attention to, just that I can't stand the
WHO blather about IWA and Tiers and mindless epidemiological "studies".

For the same reason, I caution you to not fall in the trap of "resource
conservation", "efficiency", and technology fetishism. At this stage, PV is
undoubtedly the best source for small battery power -- you helped me
confirm that hunch -- and small hydro for local grids provided sufficient
productive use exists (again, you may remember how difficult it was to
satisfy donor requirements and how that small hydro on Santo cost
~$12,000/kW).

I don't mean to slight biomass technologies at all, though I don't at all
like some generalized fetish about "renewable biomass". It is all
"contextual" - energy resource, financial and operational capacity, safety
and versatility, "cleanliness" (not just PM2.5 emission rates blather).
This is why I liked Dr. Anand Karve's "waste-to-charcoal" technology.

All technologies need "local" support for indigenization and growth. Road
warriors of BS (biomass stoves) for the poor have sometimes - just
sometimes - have been serving BS to the poor, cakes of promises to the
donors. (Tested, need I add, by WBT  version this or that.)

I hope you don't mind that I didn't see much of the video you sent the link
to. Anything that starts with "extreme climate change," I can cope with.
The moment I see per capita carbon footprint, I choose to keep my sanity
when others have lost theirs. (Kipling's "If." :-)) BTW, I am thinking of
visiting Mandvi in the next few days.

Nikhil

---------
(India +91) 909 995 2080